Small lite drill and driver, any ideas.

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by squish, Feb 23, 2019.

1. squish

squish New Member

My trusty old bargain basement power drill/driver is on its last legs.

It's only for home use, flat pack, shelving, lots of drilling into wood and some masonry drilling.

Can't decide if I should get a small power driver, and separate drill. I sometimes struggle to get screws tight enough so was wondering if a power drill and separate impact driver might be best.

I have two batteries with my old drill which has been great.

I like the look of ryobi and particularly the shared batteries and different sized batteries (great for weight). Also I could add a jigsaw and circular saw in a year or two and still use the same batteries.

PS last time I used an impact driver it was something you hit with a hammer. :D

Prime concerns other than price, are light-weight and easy to handle for small hands. i don't have masses of strength or stamina.

Oh, also what are the better drill and driver bits.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

When I mashed my hand I got a 10.8V Makita twin pack as I couldn't lift my 18V kit but I don't know what other cordless tools they do in that voltage.

malkie129 and squish like this.
  3. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

I have two friends who each bought the small Makita drill & driver set (10.8V?) and they are both very happy with the performance. Both are very keen and capable DIYers.

malkie129 and squish like this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I can confirm that the Bosch 12v gsb122lin (I think so, had to look it up) from Axminster tools is absolutely superb. Bought it for about £80, use it solely now for kitchens, hanging doors and potchy work. Almost as light as a feather.

squish likes this.
  5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

6. squish

squish New Member

Cheers

Wow things got pricey since I last bought a drill.

Is this the one that HappyHacker and Chippie244 are recommending Makita-CLX202AJ-Impact-Driver ?

Would either of these be any-good, or would I need something stronger? Makita-DK1493WX-Li-ion-Cordless-Piece and Makita LCT204J cordless combi drill (Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)

Jord86 is this it Bosch GSB 120 - LI Professional 12V with 2 x 1.5 Ah Batteries would that be ok for everything, or would I need another drill too.

Are these just gimmicks or does anyone know if there any good? Bosch Professional GSR 12V-15 FC Cordless Drill Driver Set with Two 12 V 2.0 Ah Lithium-Ion Batteries - L-Boxx and Bosch IXO Set Cordless Screwdriver (angle adapter, Off-set angle adapter, 10 screwdriver bits, USB charger, metal case, 3.6 V, 1.5 Ah)

Can't get over how many choices there are.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The first one is what I meant, it will do anything you want DIY bar drilling big holes, buy a cheap SDS for that.

kitfit1 and squish like this.
  8. squish

squish New Member

Maybe as much as £200 if my old drill can hang on for a few more months.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My suggestion fits right in that budget.

10. squish

squish New Member

yeah and i think they do a jigsaw that can swap batteries too and it was described as small

Although I'm not to sure which type of saw I should get either. Again so many more options now.

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Might I suggest that you consider an oscillating multitool rather than a jigsaw unless you have the specific intent on cutting curves, bends and waves? It has a myriad of uses that the jigsaw doesn't especially for the keen DIYer. I'm not suggesting your life is incomplete without one - just that I would add it to your list of potential battery compatibility before you choose a drill/driver.

squish likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

May I suggest the Bosch GSB 10.8-2-LI superb drill,powerful,lightweight,well balanced,realy like mine.
    Use Quidco/TCB might save a few more pennies, also several different pack option, mainly different batteries sizes.

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-gsb-10-8-2-li-12v-15-cordless-combi-drill-inc-2x-2-0ah-batts

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bo...-drill-inc-1x-2-0ah-1x-4-0ah-batts-0615990j2s

Also avvailable as a twin pack.

https://www.mytoolshed.co.uk/bosch-...MIuPbix_bT4AIVDM53Ch0ROgK5EAkYAyABEgKotPD_BwE

And add to that some Bosch Multi Construction Drill Bits,5mm, 5.5mm & 6mm perfect for masonry,etc.

There also the Bosch 12v FlexiClick Drill Driver, no experience of this tool.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bos...DigB&biw=1280&bih=566#spd=8457779358439210331

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    squish likes this.
  13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Chip's suggestion is actually a very good set for small hands and as long as you stick to 2ah or below, very lightweight as well. As far as i know the only other tool that Makita do for the 10.8v at the moment is the Multitool, not seen a 10.8v jigsaw on the official Makita site.

squish likes this.
  14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Screwfix.. £69.99...Would be my recommendation [​IMG]

squish likes this.
  15. squish

squish New Member

Thanks again.

Naturally I really like the price of the Erbauer pair. My last drill and circular saw set lasted years and they were Do-It-Yourself's DP brand, it was dirt cheap.

Thanks for this. I'm not sure which saw would be best for me.

The DP circular saw that came with my drill was great, weighed very little, also had a thin blade, and did bevel cuts and plunged easily, I found it so easy to handle. When it broke I tried another and couldn't get along with it, it was too bulky and heavy. I bought a WORX compact circular saw and again I can't get along with it. It seems to really struggle through ordinary laminated compressed chipboard, and it doesn't bevel.

I've got some old flat pack furniture that I intend to cut down for shelves and possibly to make a bench/desk. Any ideas on what would be best and easiest for straight cuts through ordinary laminated compressed chipboard?

Do multi tools make straight cuts easy, I've always struggled with straight cuts?

I would like the drill/driver and saw to be able to swap batteries, and also be able to add tools when I need and can afford them, plus be able to get spares in ten years from now.

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’ve got the 10.8v Bosch twin pack Kiab mentioned and I’m very pleased with it. I don’t rely on the drill for everyday use, as it’s a bit under powered but it is useful for light use. The impact driver is a diffferent kettle of fish...small light and powerful, and is pretty much glued to my hand
    I’ve also got the matching circular saw, which comes in handy for the right job. Plenty of other tools in that range too.

I would recommend a bigger battery size if it’s your only kit though.

squish likes this.
  17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I ended up buying two sets of the Bosch 10.8v! The first I managed to use it once before my daughter grabbed and has been using it since. The second my son nabbed and haven't seen it since. Both have said they are really useful and surprisingly powerful and are reluctant to bring them back

squish likes this.
  18. squish

squish New Member

19. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Good choice :)

I have a Makita multi tool too on 18V but can be a bit on the heavy side.

So think you will like this set.

squish likes this.