Rake angle of a staircase ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Feb 26, 2019.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi all ive fitted a Aluminium U channel to my staircase which accepts 15mm toughened glass.

I have looked online to find a supplier and found one but it wants to know the angle of the rake ? Hows the best way to work it out accurate ?

thanks

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Trigonometry.

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

easy for you to say...

4. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I made a template from a piece of MDF and then measured it.

I marked it up so the centre part was a rectangle with two triangles on each end.

When i put the measurements into a right angle calculator it came up with a angle of 47.50 degrees ? Its just a standard 20 year old house. then i googled it and it said most staircase rakes were where 37 Degrees ?

5. Gringo28

Gringo28 Active Member

Sounds like you've measured the wrong angle.
    If the template is correct then just take that to the glass maker.
    You can't go wrong with templates.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Most staircases are around 43 deg yours is 42.5.

7. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks mine is 47.5 ?
    Its online i was buying from and they want the angle.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What is the opposite angle of 47.5?

9. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Are you sure.??

I'd have thought most stairs were around 36° to 38°

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Get a piece of paper and fold one edge to the other to make a triangle and hold it against your staircase, if your stairs are steeper then you are right, if the angle is shallower then I am right.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It varies in what they can get it, I see a lot of 43 deg.

12. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

like said before you need a local glass merchant and templates dont lie most stair cases are glazed with 10mm toughened try brownhills glass they toughen

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Templates all the way.

14. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

If you have a iPhone download a angle finding app and use your phone on top of the string .i bet chippy is right though , half of 47.5 degs is 42.5 which is a very common angle for stairs.

15. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

dont forget when you template holes for handrail brackets

chippie244 likes this.
  16. G Roo

G Roo Member

Just to be clear the angle of the staircase (pitch) is measured from the horizontal. If you have 47.5 I guess you have worked out the angle back from the vertical. Hope that makes sense.

17. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Half of 47.5 is 23.75

18. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

Correct , should of said 90 - 47.5 = 42.5

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Jesus, this is hard work. Private dwelling stairs shouldn't exceed a maximum of 42 degrees, obviously houses that are 100 odd year old will have whatever, but the majority fall under. Plumb up off any part of your stairs with a level and draw a line on the string, then use a aluminium speed square and hold the pivot point on the line and swing the square down to meet the line, it will tell you the degree on the hypotenuse part of the square. You could use a sliding bevel, but it won't tell you the degree of pitch, just the angle.

20. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thanks I worked out the angle with a right angle calculator, i know the height of the template 750mm and then measured the bottom of the triangle 685mm and the calculator came out with the angle 47.5 degrees.

Its just glass, no holes and no handrail.

If the angle was 42 degrees the 685mm measurement should be 833mm, which it certainly not

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019