Shed base near a tree

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Modded, Mar 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Modded

Modded New Member

Hi, I've been fighting to get our garden under control for a while now (previous owner left it more than messy) and I'm finally up to the last bit - the shed!

The shed itself is falling down a bit so needs fixing up but really I want to replace it completely with a custom built big shed / outhouse type thing that's big enough to fit garden tools one end and my gym at the other with a bit of space off to the side for a mini workshop.

But I've got 3 big problems in the form of huge 20 to 25m tall trees on the left of the existing shed. The shed itself looks to be sat on a 100mm deep concrete slab, no cracks in it currently and it doesn't look to have moved.

I've taken a quick pic; http://www.lies.org.uk/shed_space.jpg
    • The dark red is the grounds outline.
    • Bright red is where I want the new shed.
    • Dark green is the concrete slab under the current shed.
    • Light green are some mostly dead trees I'm planning on removing to make space.
    • Cyan is the back of someone's really odd shed, its a good 5m long but barely 2m wide! I noticed when cleaning up that its actually got a brick wall around it at the tree end.
    Forgive the mess but I've been doing the garden from the patio backwards! (I wish I'd done it the other way round but bit late now)

I'm basically looking for the best option that's not going to make the trees fall over but gives me the strength to take the gym equipment and I've never done anything like this around such big trees.

I was originally thinking of a raft foundation with rebar for added strength but like I said I don't want these trees falling over as they'd easily take out a couple of sheds and maybe conservatories depending which way they fell.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Leylandii, cut them down,nothing special,will only get taller, 60' or more,not that deep rooted, you build shed there, access will be even harder to them.

They put the garden in the shade,block, dry out the ground,can be fast growing in right conditions & block outside light in your rooms.
    They serve no useful purpose,not even firewood.

I've seen them 100' tall,used as a wind break were I lived many years ago.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Move the tree.......................to the tip!

Odd Bodkin and KIAB like this.
  4. Modded

Modded New Member

Hey guys, I wish I could remove them but the end of our garden attaches to about 30 others - we are the unlucky ones to end up with the trees.

Neighbours like them so removing is just not an option annoyingly so I've got work around them somehow!

5. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

If the trees are actually on your land? Remove them as the others have said.

Astramax and KIAB like this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If those trees were removed, you get a darn nice sized workshop/gym,the whole width of the garden.

Those trees rob you of a lot of usuable space.

sparky steve likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Remove them.....................future trouble if left to keep growing!
    Ignore the neighbours, you don't think the would consider you if they wanted to do anything do you................really!

sparky steve and KIAB like this.
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If they like them, let them plant them in their own gardens :D

Removed some leylandi trees a few years back before they were going to cause damage to a wall.

sparky steve, Astramax and KIAB like this.
  9. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin Active Member

I persuaded my new neighbour to remove a row of leylandii several years ago and the improvement in light was dramatic.
    That skinny tree on the right is too squashed in to be much use, either.
    Oh, and the green lichen will thrive in that pond if you leave that leylandii up - if you cannot cut it down, at least cut the overhanging branches as far back as you can. It will also drip green gunk all over your shed roof too.
    I love trees but there's a special place in hell for leylandii.

If you place the base of your shed on a wooden support it will provide an airflow under the shed and prevent any damp settling into the wood.
    I raised mine on breeze blocks then placed wooden beams along the top before laying the shed base down to give it some breathing space.
    Treated timber will last for years and help your shed to survive the whims of weather we all so 'enjoy' in this country.

KIAB likes this.