Best Tool For the Job

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Coops666, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Coops666

Coops666 Member

Hello,

I`m in the middle of taking up T&G flooring, I`ve removed all of the nails but now need to cut the T&G joints to actually get these boards moving & up.

Any recommendations for the best tool to use for this job?

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Multitool.

3. Coops666

Coops666 Member

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've never had a problem using a multitool but that saw looks like it would do the job.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

If you have removed nails ( how did you do that without lifting?) once one is up the others do not need cutting. Good quality Stanley knife between the boards, don't try to cut all the way at once. Make several passes and cutting through ¼" of soft wood is not difficult.

Coops666 likes this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are you planing on reusing the boards ?

And as above, how did you remove nails without removing boards (or did you mean screws)?

8. As a couple of posts above, I don't know how you removed the nails on tongue and groove as they are normally hidden but if the were surface nailed and you have,stop faffing about with a multitool.
    Get a claw hammer and Electricians Bolster,lift the first board and the rest will just lift by hand if denailed as you say.

Coops666 likes this.
  9. Coops666

Coops666 Member

22mm hole saw drill bit, drilled over the top of the nail down by quarter of an inch it takes a plug of wood out around the nail head then get piles and a claw hammer on them.

10. Coops666

Coops666 Member

I do plan on re-using the boards but will see how they are when up, might lay new. I`m not planning on taking all of them up only the worse ones that are squeaking. Will cut the boards on the last joists around the edge of the room as some go under the walls and built in wardrobes

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

When you lay the boards back down (old or new boards), use screws not nails for fixings, taking into account pipe and cable runs

Also glue all T&G joints and support end joins with an extra noggin between joists

The pros on here will recommend best screw and best glue to use, no longer a simple choice ;)

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have never heard of gluing T & G joints...........that will really make a mess next time you may need to get the floorboards up, pretty much totally destroying them. :eek:.....or have I missed something here?

Heat likes this.
  13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I may have (wrongly) assumed that this was T&G chipboard flooring ?

If it is chip, then glue the joints for sure

If timber floorboards, then yeah gluing them would be rather unusual I admit o_O

I’ve probably jumped to the wrong conclusion here I admit but, anyway, I got ‘use screws’ bit right :)

Cheers Astra :D, don’t think you have missed anything after all :D

14. Coops666

Coops666 Member

it is T&G boards. .....what a nightmare of a job though. Not to keen putting it back thinking about it as I think its the T&Gs that squeaking because they havent been glued or the glue has worn away.

As always this boarding goes under the walls, wardrobes so will cut the boards at the last joists at the edge of the room.

What is the best flooring to replace T&G with?

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You could use floorboard clamps when you put them back, they would not have been glued in place when originally installed, You Tube flooring clamps.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can hire floorboard clamps.

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Friends mom and dad had put up with squeaky floorboards for thirty years. Couple of hours and 2 boxes of screws and voila, a silent floor. They couldn’t believe it.

18. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

circular saw always works for me

nigel willson likes this.
  19. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Drill clearance holes in the boards and screw them down boards only squeak if they can move.
    Best option if you want to replace them in my view is 18mm marine ply if you want to go that way, but try screwing a few first they should be fine. ;)

20. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Circular saw, hammer and crowbar