Best Tool For the Job

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Coops666, Mar 11, 2019.

1. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

effective

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

...and you sorted it for free....................being a friend! :D;)

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Think I charged them a £1...

...per screw :D

chippie244 likes this.
  4. Coops666

Coops666 Member

Have tried screws - it looked like a AK47 had gone off in the room with the amount of screws I had put in. I also added to that water/PVA mix into the joints and then a few days later D4 Glue.

I got a board up last night, can confirm the boards were not glued to the joists and the T&G had not been glued. Very poor build IMO.

Now I have one up I might as well continue with the main walk areas.

When you say drill clearance holes what do you mean by that? - just re-read this....do you mean drill a small plug out so the screw head sinks into the material?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

[QUOTE="Coops666, post: 1690854, member: 186718"

I got a board up last night, can confirm the boards were not glued to the joists and the T&G had not been glued. Very poor build IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Tongue and grooved boards are not glued together why do you think they would have been....forget it, it is not a poor build, don't believe all you read!

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Clearance hole allows the screw to pass through the board without gripping so when it is screwed into the joist it pulls the board hard down, if you try to screw through both there is a tendancy for the screw to slightly lift the board as it starts to cut into the joist you end up with a tiny clearance between board and joist, result squeak squeak squeak!!:(

Coops666 and Astramax like this.
  7. Coops666

Coops666 Member

Tongue and grooved boards are not glued together why do you think they would have been....forget it, it is not a poor build, don't believe all you read![/QUOTE]

I understand they dont have to be but if the job was done properly and to prevent where I am at today 18years after the house was built every bedroom room sounds like your going to fall through the ceiling. Gluing the joists, T&G & screwing would of resolved this current situation.

I`m here now because nothing was glued & nails were used IMO.

8. Coops666

Coops666 Member

Great tip - never knew that

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Or simply use a screw with a part threaded shank

Search ‘floorboard screws’

No drilling, pilot holes, faffing about

Was me that caused the confusing re glue as I wrongly assumed you had T&G chipboard sheet flooring - which should be glued - apologies for that

Seems you have timber T&G floorboards / planks ? - which wouldn’t ‘normally’ be glued

Are the floorboards twisted and/or cupped or uneven joists perhaps ?

10. Coops666

Coops666 Member

Yes, I have T&G boards & they are not glued, hense why I`m lifting to relay new & glued & screw

I have bought soem of the flooring screws...Floor Tight Screws I think they are called.

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Great screws yep, expensive but not all screws are equal

No need to pilot hole, as I’m sure you know so time saving

Spose unusual to glue floorboards but why not ? Yep a problem to lift in the future for any electrical / plumbing works but cross that bridge when it arrives I guess :eek:

Identify pipe and cable runs, (can even mark these on floorboards for any future works) and aim to drive screws into fresh timber, ie missing nail holes in joists if you can

12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It I came across conventional floorboards that had been glued it would be a first. There's time I suppose......

teabreak, Heat and Astramax like this.
  13. Coops666

Coops666 Member

I`m no builder or tradesman just a DIYer but I Always do my research and try to do something right 1st time and use the best products available. (Hense why i`m on here talking to you lot who are experienced)

But a lot of the places i`m visiting, reading,seeing...take D4 Joist & Joint glue for explain its all saying for best fit & bond...glue the joints and glue the boards to the joist.

Many thanks for all the comments always good to hear the advice & views from the pros.

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

But recommendation to use glue is more than likely in relation to using chipboard T&G flooring ?

But .... your house, up to you :)

Heat likes this.
  15. That is for carpy chipboard,not for real and proper timber flooring.Chipboard should be for packing crates and not let near buildings.

Astramax and Heat like this.
  16. Coops666

Coops666 Member

I know...it's T&G I'm taking up and putting down

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

This is really confusing.

The OP really should have been clearer.

What he is taking up is chipboard.

For me if someone refers to T&G flooring that is softwood floorboards.

Astramax likes this.
  18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You will struggle to reuse chipboard flooring once it is taken up.

When laying the new chipboard flooring you will need to make sure all joints are supported. And yes gluing it to the joists is a good idea but doing that is a relatively new practice.

When I pull up most chipboard flooring it isnt glued to the joists.

As others say do not scrimp on the screws. Good quality and plenty of.

Have some 4x2 CLS handy and some suitable Simpson brackets for adding support.

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Your telling me this post is confusing :eek:

I initially assumed the OP was talking about T&G chip flooring and that’s why I recommended gluing joints and extra noggins at end joints

Astra questioned my suggesting of gluing and then I guessed I had assumed wrongly and the OP has T&G floorboards / planks

I’ve asked him to clarify what material these floorboards are made from but it’s still not clear, only more muddled

I’m only diy myself but trying to be helpful with my posts but ......... time to give up on this one ;)

goldenboy likes this.
  20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

BUT ........ T&G what exactly ??????

Chipboard flooring / sheets

Or

Softwood floorboards or planks

It’s an easy question and clearly obvious what material the flooring is made from

You’ve had loads of advice and suggestions but seem unable to clarify what type of boards you have - ie. chipboard or softwood or other ?

The way you approach this job is dependant on what material your dealing with

Good luck, I’m out :)