Domestic secondary consumer unit - test certificate?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Beacon, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Beacon

Beacon Member

Hello all - my first post here and only a few months in the job so, be gentle ...

I qualified last year after a lifetime of doing my own electrics and electronics, and am getting used to the correct way of doing things as per the wiring regs.

A job I have just done is to replace an old fuse board with an 18th edition RCD consumer unit. This is a secondary unit to the main CU (an older MCB based unit with an external RCD) presumably fitted when the property was extended some time ago.
    The new CU has 4 circuits, 1 lighting ring final, 1 socket wing final and 2 socket finals.

All is fine and dandy - but what certificate do I complete? No new circuits have been added BUT the CU has been changed, so the way I read the regs (644.1) a EIC is required. Is this correct? And if so, does this cover just the new CU and it's circuits or the WHOLE installation (please God, no!)?

I'm fast discovering that certification is the worst part of the job :(

Thanks in advance all for your time and trouble.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You need an EIC for the new consumer unit and the circuits attached to it. If you haven't altered any other circuits you don't need any other certification. It would be prudent to do an EICR for them if you have the knowledge and expertise but no need for anything else.

3. Beacon

Beacon Member

Excellent! The house is old and rambling, a full EICR would be troublesome. I may suggest it to them as a follow up though. Thanks unphased :)

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If you issue an EICR make sure your insurance covers you for it. Hopefully you did an "all RCBO" installation?

5. Beacon

Beacon Member

Mmmm, I will, took it out with Direct Line and therefore specifics were a little sparse...

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You need liability and indemnity - they are two different thing. If you don't have indemnity I would not issue any EICR's at all.

7. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Lol, says the man who has no insurance at all.

Risteard likes this.
  8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I only do DIY, he is charging customers for his work. There is a major difference between the two.

But it doesn't come as any particular surprise you don't get this.

9. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

What makes you think I don’t get it?
    Just thought it ironic that you who has no insurance should be advising someone to obtain some.

10. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Actually, you would - with "for entertainment and comedy purposes only" written on it.

11. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

But it will keep you on your toes and improve your work.
    Design - Install - Test - Certify
    All part of the job.

12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Don't forget that a CU replacement is notifiable to LABC under Part Peee!

Kind regards

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

What is this meant to mean?

14. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

How is someone who has months of experience able to have a career when it took me about 15 years, I feel such a fool, all those wasted years.

15. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

You know what it means. You've already admitted to writing invalid certificates with "this certificate is intended as a joke only and cannot be considered valid under any circumstances" or some other such nonsense on them. So it's hard to see how you wouldn't take a similar attitude with reports.

Why don't you abandon electricity forever and leave it to the qualified and competent operatives. You are just a clueless and probably dangerous DIYer, and an affront to all decent people everywhere.

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Because I don't do it for a living. I don't issue reports for anyone. Why would I need to indemnify myself? So I can sue myself in court?

For a start you have had zero visibility of my work so this statement is stupid and pointless.

17. techie

techie Screwfix Select

Behave children....