Fitting PAX wardrobes Skirting Board

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Urban Bumpkin, Mar 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

I’m fitting a PAX corner wardrobe at the weekend. The only problem is that I’m planning to get them flush against the wall, but I’ve quadrant beading and skirting board in the way. As the one end of the wardrobe is opposite the door I’m trying to avoid a gap.

I was thinking of chopping out the section of quadrant beading and scribing the wardrobe. From what I’ve read you can’t cut out the PAX wardrobes (for some reason) it also invalidates the warranty.

Any suggestions?

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

if thats the case cut out the beading

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Stick up some pics as its not clear what you are trying to do

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You can’t scribe the backs of the PAX range as there’s no void at the back, like the majority of kitchen units, for instance

The hardboard backs are pinned onto the back edge of the side panels so by scribing them, you would be butchering the actual wardrobe

Way easier just cut skirt and bead flush to side panel of robe (multi tool if you have) ? and remove skirting so robe goes back flush to wall

Of course, it will only be as flush as wall is straight ;)

But after fixing at tops of robes to wall, can always caulk any slight gaps and paint in

5. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

53F5881B-AAB6-48D8-B43A-503C3D25D98C.jpeg
    This is a photo of the skirting, the wardrobe isn’t the one I’m trying to fit.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That's not skirting that's boxing in, your central heating pipes are behind that.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As I said in my above post, cut through skirt and beading where you’ve marked end of new wardrobe, and remove skirting that will be behind robe

There is a plinth and false base to these wardrobes but is this higher than the skirting ? If yes, then guess you can scribe the side panels

Way easier to just rip out skirt from behind robe. Once fitted, you won’t be moving it will you so no issue

Urban Bumpkin likes this.
  8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

?? o_O ?? ..... you ok chips ??

Trip to spec savers or been hitting the vino rouge :D

Looks like regular chamfer skirt and quadrant beading to me ;)

9. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

Thanks for the reply ????? Are you looking at the same photo? It’s definitely skirting, the quadrant beading I put on.

10. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

Thank for the replies. The Skirting is 7” high so it would be chopping out a significant part of the wardrobe.

The only other option I’d thought of would be to still cut out the quick quadrant, but to source an edge piece the same thickness of the skirting and the same colour as the wardrobe end.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cut out quadrant and run a timber infill up the wall slightly recessed that is the same thickness of the skirting and paint same finish as wardrobe.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's an optical illusion, at first look it seemed like the boxing in on the house I had been in all day.:oops:

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

So 7” skirting, you can’t then simply cut and scribe false base as this will foul base panel of robe

Not sure exact height of false base as these wardrobes are at my sisters house

You seem to want to avoid removing part of skirting ? Just wonder why as this will be the quickest, easiest method and once robe in place, nobody will be the wiser, just nicely fitted wardrobe :)

14. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought that. When I first looked at the pic it looked like 2" deep!
    Multi-tool to chop out the section that would be behind the wardrobe.

chippie244 likes this.
  15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I must admit I thought the skirting looked mahusive too!

Agree that chop out the skirting is by far the best option.

Urban Bumpkin and chippie244 like this.
  16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

+1 for the pipe boxing illusion. It's obvious when you look at it again.

Or is it......?

As above. Cut out and remove quadrant and skirting with a multi tool. Done neatly you can refit skirting if you change things at a later date.

Urban Bumpkin and chippie244 like this.
  17. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

Thanks Dave

I’m not against cutting out the skirting board.

My only reluctance to cutting out the Skirting board was that if we moved the wardrobes in the near future. Generally the skirting board will generally outlast the wardrobe.

Plus I haven’t got a multi tool but this would be the perfect excuse to buy one.

Any suggestion on which multi tool. I’m just looking at Screwfix and tool station

18. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

Weird! I’ve just looked at the photo again, I can see how the bevelled edge could look like a flat top

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Cut the skirt, then wrap in polythene, label in big letters, then chuck up in loft (with all the other junk) :D

To be fair, the Ikea robes are pretty sturdy and will last. Main thing they dont like is being moved once fully assembled, especially over carpet as they are heavy. This will weaken joints. Just ensure these are screwed to the wall to prevent movement and also safety (particularly if you have kids)

As for multi tool- there’s a massive choice as all brands, big and small all make them, then uv got corded or battery to consider

I’ve got the green Bosch and it’s been used loads and all happy with it. £60 at BQ but often reduced (corded version)

Look at own brands which may well come in even cheaper and be more than adequate. Lidle tools often get a thumbs up on this site

Blades can be expensive though. T St often have sets on offer (can’t remember brand) but they seem fine to me. Or on-line, Saxton Blades, again often recommended on here

Once you have a multi tool, if your a regular diy’er, you will find loads of uses for it :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  20. Urban Bumpkin

Urban Bumpkin Member

Bosch green is £60 in b&Q and Amazon. I did notice this (VonHaus) which gets good reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Oscillating-Multitool-Precision-Variable/dp/B00NC3968E

Anyone heard of them? Are they any good?