Rear extension on line with drainage

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Adam Harrington, Mar 13, 2019.

1. I’m looking to put a single story extension on a semi detached house under the permitted development.
    I want to go out as far as I’m allowed, without planning permission it’s 3m but the problem I have is the drainage. This runs along the back gardens and is exactly 3m away from the house.
    Has anyone had this and what did you do?
    I don’t want the extension to be smaller, if anything I’d prefer it bigger and wouldn’t mind applying for permission if I knew they’d allow it.
    The drainage runs parallel with the house so would relocating it further out be an option?
    I’m awaiting someone coming to look at this I was just wondering for the time being.
    Thanks!

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

move the drain

3. Honestly

Honestly Member

What drainage is it ?
    Foul waste from just your house or is it combined/ joined across the gardens of adjoining houses?

4. It’s part of the drainage for the other houses, I believe it starts 3 maybe 4 houses up and crosses all the gardens

5. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

You may be able to get an easement to build over from your area water supplier, you have to apply to them and pay a fee, but if you keep at the 3m it will interfere with your foundations so you may not have much option but to move it , if it’s possible to maintain the fall

Honestly likes this.
  6. Honestly

Honestly Member

Depends if it is a drain?
    It may be a lateral drain or a sewer
    If it’s a drain he can move it if it’s not he will need permission to build over it. Heavy penalties apply if permission is NOT granted

Naive members of the public and so called professionals don’t know the difference between drains, lateral drains and sewers (they all carry waste)

It may even be a rain water pipe?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  7. Yeah that sounds about right.
    Do you know if it’s possible to go further than 3m? That way I could bridge it. Being a semi and the 45 degree rule I don’t think I’ll be able to.
    Other than that I could move it, but to get smooth curves on the drainage I’d have to change the direction at the neighbours side?

8. Honestly

Honestly Member

It’s either a lateral drain that forms a sewer YOU CANNOT TOUCH IT OR BUILD OVER IT!
    WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM THE WATER UTILITY COMPANY WHO OWN IT

YOU ARE NOT EVEN ALOUD TO DIG WITHIN 3 METERS OF IT

9. Honestly

Honestly Member

You will require permission and if they grant permission this is likely to be hugely expensive for you. You will need an approved contractor advised by the water utility company to carry out such work

If you choose not to gain permission then believe you me you could end up paying massive fines along with being forced to remove your extension - YOU MUST SEEK THE CORRECT ADVICE
    PEOPLE ON HERE WILL MISLEAD YOU

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why do you keep shouting?

11. gas monkey

hello h are you taking to me if so please do not refer to me as niave tar

12. I believe the pipe is just foul, it’s barely 500mm deep I can’t see it been a major job.

I’m in the process of getting proper advice I was just seeing if anyone had a similar experience.
    I’m not going to just start building without knowing what’s what.

13. Honestly

Honestly Member

To get the message across that there are people on here that give incorrect advice and know very little about such things
    Such as gas monkey

14. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Just dig it up and say it was your neighbour.

15. Honestly

Honestly Member

Very sensible but despite what you are told talk to the utility company concerned under an alias name/ address not to bring attention to your plans? - you may just choose to go ahead without permission from the utility company on the hope they never find out
    Good luck

16. Honestly

Honestly Member

Building over a public sewer. ... If you want to build over, or close to, one of our public sewers or lateral drains (this usually means within 3 metres), you need our approval, even if it is located on your land.
    United Utilities - Building over a public sewer

17. gas monkey

honestly sorry if ive upset you in sum way but to shouot and call people names is not the way

18. Honestly

Honestly Member

I’m just being honest
    People mislead when they know nothing about such things and advise people incorrectly
    You are very quick to jump on me gas monkey with your strange comments and im not happy when it’s obvious you know little about certain things - why mislead and cost people time and money and upset

I’m wondering whether you prefer the entertainment aspect on these forums of seeing how people react rather than actually help them with relevant facts to the subject / question concerned

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No need to shout.

20. gas monkey

try to help and have a bit of fun so i can see your upset on something ive jumped on you with so tell me and if so ill say sorry not hear to affend