Brands in plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mcooper2406, Mar 14, 2019.

1. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Active Member

Hi All,

Planning to chemically flush and fit a magnetic filter to my central heating system. Looking at a couple of brands for filter and chemicals.

Our hosts own brand flow master range for the filter with sentinel chemicals or flow master chemicals.

A fernox filter from a competitor, a full set of filter and chemicals by Adey (not heard of them) from the same competitor. I have also seen some chemicals by Corgi that seem extremely cheap but I assume they will be tat.

Looking for a good combination of cleaner, inhibitor and 22mm filter for £125 or less.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

In my opinion, Adey are probably the best filters out there. They are easy to install, easy to isolate and clean, have a great reputation ... The Adey MagnaClean Pro 2 or if tight on space the new Atom might be the one.

Or if you have a large systems there is the 2XP

KIAB likes this.
  3. mcooper2406

Ahh right. Thanks for that I was steering away from them as I hadn't heard of them before but that probably just because I've never bought a magnetic filter before!

The Magnaclean Pro 1 was the set I was looking at with chemicals. Do you have any opinion on the Adey chemicals? I've seen most people on hear singing the praises of sentinel.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I used to use Sentinel (X.100) but have switched to Adey MC1 as its a lot cheaper and does the job just as well. I also have the Magnaclean Pro fitted.

Heat likes this.
  5. Pollowick

The Pro 1 is an old design. The Pro2 is very easy and quick to fit - it can, with experience, be done in 20 minutes! The Pro2 will only set you back £10 more and you get everything you need.

SF as the Pro2 with Chemicals for £129.99 and you may be able to get it for less ... You can get teh Pro2 alone for under £90 inclusive

6. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

As above posts say, the Magnaclean Pro 2 is a good filter and easy to fit, but has a plastic body and is expensive.
    The Adey chemicals are cheaper that most other known brands.
    Fernox filter is fairly good. Fernox actually invented mag filters.
    Fernox F5 powerflush chemical is brilliant but expensive

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. mcooper2406

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Thanks for that find KIAB. I was going for the magnaclean 1 because the chemical pack with filter was £90 at TS but the pro 2 was about £130.

The pro 2 for £88 has solved my problems completely.

On order as we speak.

Thanks again guys.

9. Pollowick

Just make sure you get it on the final return after all are combined.

As I always say:

Once fitted check the filter,
    Once an hour for a day,
    Once a day for a week,
    Once a week for a month,
    Once a month for a quarter,
    Then every 3 to 6 months

10. mcooper2406

I'm planning to fit in right before the boiler on the return pipe as it tee's off shortly after that so no other choice really.

I'm planning on putting the cleaner in and leaving it for a week or two (it says 28 days max for this product so that should be fine) and then draining the system.

I was then thinking of connecting a hose to the flow and one to the return and running clean water through the system from the flow in order to flush out all of the chemical and give the system a good rinse before installing the filter. Does this sound okay to everyone?

Hans_25 likes this.
  11. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If you have a mains water fill, then just use this with a hose off one of the drain off points into the garden. Turn off all rads except one, then turn one rad on, one rad off, until everything is flushed.

If you use Sentinel x.400 to clean the system it can be left in indefinitely, but of course you should drain, flush and refill at the appropriate time :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    mcooper2406 likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No, X400 should only be left in 3-4 weeks, then drain & throughly flush system.

13. Adey pro 2 magnetic cleaner - easy to clean and install and top product out there
    If your looking at chemically flush only I hope your doing to older boiler and not a new condensing boiler?
    Chemical flush does not get rid of all the muck. When you drain down through a drain off cock lighter fluids will drain, leaving heavier damaging particle left in the pipe work.
    You need to power flush which forces chemical and magnetic sludge particles out.
    Too many new condensing boiler heat exchangers are failing because of chemical flushes. Chemical flushes are normally carried out by so called professional boiler engineers/ installers who don’t invest in such power flushing equipment. These are also the people who suggest power flushing causes leaks and damages systems. Power flushing doesn’t cause leaks it removes the **** that block old leaks and worn and dripping valves.
    An example of chemical flush can be used by using common sense: I’ll explain

If a 110mm foul waste pipe was sat parallel to a floor (like heating pipes ) when you flush the toilet containing foul waste the water would drain from the solids/foul waste and leave the heavy foul waste in the pipe. The same happens in chemical flushing - heavy particles remain in the pipes and bottom of rads.

Trace elements of the chemicals flushing agents also remain in the system and over time alter the PH level of water/ inhibitor and can lead to boilers heat exchanger premature failure - boiler heat exchangers are not covered by manufacturers warranty if sludge and chemical flushing agents have caused the damage

Professional engineers will agree with me here, backed up by talking to worcester bosch, Vaillant, Potterton, ideal all boiler manufactures who are recognising the problem.
    Conflicting advice will come from others who have no knowledge and understanding of such things
    So mcooper choose your advice carefully.
    And good luck but get it power flushed professionally and reap the rewards of increased heat outputs and lower gas bills

Hans 25 above is the best advice if you can’t afford a power flush, but do every radiator individually targeted from the circulation pump position
    Good luck

Heat likes this.
  14. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Oops, think I meant X.800

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

X800 can be left in longer, but not permently, you still need to drain & flush system.

16. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I would agree that flushing systems or/and installing a magnetic filter will not remove all heavy sludge.

17. mcooper2406

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Just looking to improve performance and efficiency a little not expecting miracles!

18. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If you install a Magnaclean and use X.400 or X.800 to flush it through over a period of time, removing debris from the Magnaclean frequently, you'll get pretty much everything out. Powerflushes are typically advised by those in the trade as a quick way of flushing the system out, it can be effective and quick but also stresses the system.

I used X.800, left it in for quite a while (longer than I expected), it cleaned everything out via the Magnaclean, then flushed the system through before filling and adding Adey MC.1. Job done and no need for power flushing.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Power flushing is a quick way to make a lot of money,puts a lot of stress on a old system.

A friend had a problem with boiler, she paid over £300 for power flushing, still add problems, so I fitted Magnaclean 2, then connected my Magnacleanse to system,I achieved more leaving it running over a weekend than any powerflushing.

Hans_25 likes this.
  20. mcooper2406

Update:

Hi all, followed your instructions and left the chemical in for a week, thoroughly rinsed the system today. Fitted the pro 2 and the picture below was the filter after around 12 hours.

Is this an indicator that's the flush was not very successful or is this an amount you would expect in a system that has been disturbed a bit?

Thanks

Attached Files: