What’s this and where can I get one

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by walsie, Mar 14, 2019.

1. walsie

walsie New Member

AB62B684-D4C0-44F6-B263-1DAAFDB8DA32.png It’s some kind of test or blow off valve positioned near my hit water tank, it’s started leaking so needs replacing

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Don't you need to be a G3 plumber to remove/install it?

Heat, Astramax and Honestly like this.
  4. ESPlumb

ESPlumb Member

Yes you do.

When you say “leaking” do you mean it’s passing water? If so it could be indicating that there is a problem somewhere and the valve may just be doing it’s job.

I’d recommend getting a G3 plumber to take a look and resolve your problem.

longboat, Heat and Honestly like this.
  5. Honestly

Honestly Member

This is a pressure relief valve attached to the multi functional control valve associated to a unvented hot water cylinder

I would strongly advise you to call in a registered and qualified plumber who is legally covered to carry out the work and do what is required to stop this valve letting by/ dripping.
    Believe it or not you may not even need a new valve if the expansion vessel requires charging - I’m going to say no more on the subject other than this

If these are installed incorrectly or repaired with out lnowledge and understanding by a person who doesn’t have a clue what things are and why they are there these hot water cylinders are potentially a BOMB and explode with devistating results doing more damage than a gas explosion.

If they are installed and repaired correctly they are safe as everything else - unfortunately idiots don’t install them or repair them correctly - be warned touching it is endangering lives and breaking the law

6. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

its a simple job drain down
    stip it down spring valve turn valve over to the unused side
    refit charge up job done
    sorry simle to me i usual if your not happy to do it then g3 is the way

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is KIAB bovvered! :p

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Are you joking?
    That is illegal to work on.

9. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

So how do you know that the pressure is correct after the rebuild? If it still leaks, what do you do then? Put a 1/2" plug in the outlet? That will stop theleak, and make a potential bomb. Just hope you have time to unhitch your horse from the gatepost before it goes bang.

10. gas monkey

not for me

blarblarblarblar and longboat like this.
  11. gas monkey

no but i have seen a plug in a relief and told by the fitter it was leaking so did this until you got here
    check for lock up set it for whatever pressure you want or count turns if its not ben adjusted
    if still leaks new parts if orifice gone new body