Roof joists - Advice please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Darrell Webster, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Darrell Webster

Darrell Webster New Member

HI All,

Im currently looking into using the space above the garage but the joists are way to small to accept any loading. There are 5 joists @ 600mm centres spanning 5215mm and they are 72mm x 34mm thick, without taking them out which would mean dismantling the garage ceiling what options do i have for strenghening these? any advice appreciated.

Thanks

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

put the new joists along side the old rest on wall plate bolt to existing rafters

AlvyChippy likes this.
  3. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Had similar job while ago and it is remembered as hellish one.
    I had to fit slate tiles, instead of felt and preserve water tight ceiling underneath, 6", instead of existing 4" and double up (instead of ~600), had to fit them in between. Length was only just allowing to swing them in to the right length cuts to fit between ridge board and wall plate, but needing "bowing" to be upward had been using levers and club hammers to fit them in. Basically needed to chuck them in in pairs and reposition after wards.
    Depending if you get inspected and many other variables as for "residential dwelling" strength, I'd recommend 4"X2" and doubling the amount to reduce almost absolete these days spacing of 600.

4. gas monkey

what loads are we refering to

5. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Garage (shed) converted in to domicile structure has different load- strength requirements

IE old coal storage outer building reasonable roof had to go, converting in to the kitchen and has been inspected no lesser than 3 times by local inspector, including requirement for RSJ beam etc, however appearance from outside hadn't changed at all.

6. gas monkey

well done not looking for a row just noisy and ment what loads was mr webster going to use

7. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Just to clarify, I used different jobs as examples.
    As for loads - need to have calculations done, in accordance to the change of structure designation... Although I have a feeling it is one of the "diy conversions" so having roof the same, ceiling the same strengthening threefold should be sufficient

8. Darrell Webster

The current rafters run length ways 17 1/2 ft long (from garage door to back wall) which seems weird, im planning on putting about 300-400 kilos of stuff up there spread out of the 17ft x 8 ft space. im asking for advice as it seems odd the way ceiling rafters are because i presumed normally they would run accross the shortest span?

9. Darrell Webster

Thanks, its just gonna be for storage above the existing garage nothing else, its the length of the current rafters that's puzzling me @ 17 1/2 long they seem to be in the wrong way round surely they should have spanned the 8 ft width?

10. gas monkey

pic be handy yes does seem odd
    if spread poss be ok you,ll be the first to know
    put a pic on may be able to shed more light cheers

11. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Indeed as discussion so far is in "swings and roundabouts"

12. Darrell Webster

Hes a pic looking to the garage door, its exactly the same behind me.
    20190314_194937.jpg

13. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

14. gas monkey

15. Darrell Webster