Banging radiators...pls help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Make the banging stop, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Hi all,

We moved into our new house a year ago and all winter have been suffering with banging radiators upstairs. Mainly in our bedroom but also occurs in the spare room adjacent to us. The radiators make a metallic bang/clank every 10 seconds (pretty precisely...I've counted) and then sometimes they can bang in quick succession.

So far we've taken the radiator off the wall and flushed it out. We've drained the whole system and refilled, we've replaced the valves, bleeding does nothing as only water comes out. I'm having to sleep with ear plugs in every night as it continues way after the heating is supposed to have gone off (the timer goes off at 10pm it's now 11pm and it's still banging?

Can anyone offer diagnosis or advice???

Thank you:)

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

are the pipes copper and how are they run up from floor down from ceiling
    at mo sounds like liner expansion of the pipes

3. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Root of the problem is that metal expands/contracts as it heats/cools.
    A few things can translate to this causing noises.
    As monkey mentions, could be the pipes themselves are not properly supported or are under tension.
    My favourite cause tho, and it’s a simple one, is that radiators are not fitted on the proper plastic inserts between rad and wall bracket. Rad (or pipe) expands and clicks/bangs as rad moves on its bracket. Like these:
    https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/...37137e6ecfc2/c/o/compact-bracket-insert-2.jpg

4. The pipes come up through the floor. Don't think they're copper but there is only a small section exposed above the carpet. I have tried to secure the pipe when it's banging to see if it eased off a bit but it made no difference.

5. I hope it's that!!! How would I know for sure? Replace the brackets??

6. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

take rad off again and see if there is small rubber mountings where the rad sits or see if there is any movement from the radiator whilst it is hanging on the wall see if it will move back or forward slightly if it moves then you haven't got and rubber inserted between bracket and radiator.

7. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

sorry noticed typo error should say any rubber mountings between radiator and bracket.

8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If its copper pipe, they could've been laid in the joists without hair felt insulation around it, so the pipes are in direct contact with the joists and move against the timber whenever they expand/contract.

9. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Have a look at the bracket, and see if their are white plastic or dark rubber inserts. Depending on tad/bracket, might be able to buy some replacement online, shouldn’t need whole new brackets. In the picture I posted previously it’s the little white plastic widgets I’m talking about.

10. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

If the insulators are missing from the rad brackets, electrical tape is a cheap and easy solution, I've used it many times. Cut a length of tape and wrap it around the rad bracket that's attached to the actual rad. You will need to thread it around. Several layers will be required. Replace the rad on the wall and voila!
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/510-insulating-tape-white-19mm-x-33m/3683v

Or you could always buy the actual insulators;
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-OF-...627429?hash=item27dd4e66e5:g:54AAAOSwCEhcMGVM

11. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Good tip Tricky.

12. Doubleaa

Doubleaa New Member

any luck?