Issues after new gutters/fascias installed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tz123, Mar 15, 2019.

1. tz123

tz123 New Member

I recently had a a full width dormer loft conversion done at my house (3 bed semi). In addition to this I asked the loft company to replace the wooden fascias and soffits (with pvc) and to fit new guttering. Soon after this was done I noticed water dripping between the edge tiles and the gutters. This is extremely bad where there the downpipe from the dormer discharges onto the roof. I contacted the loft company but they did not want to know.

I was then advised by a number of roofing companies that the loft company had capped my existing fascias
    (not replaced) and because of this the tile overhang over the gutter was too little. Now because of capillary action, rainwater is getting between the gutters and the tiles. I have been advised that the solution to fit eaves trays all round. I contacted the loft company and have asked them to do this but they are refusing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

I assume you have paid.... if you had in writing that you told them to fit new facias rather than 'coverboard' the existing ones then you have a clear case against them. If it was a conversation then forget it! Eaves trays will sort the issue but I would be going after the original company first.

3. tz123

tz123 New Member

Many thanks for your repIy.
    I have paid. I think their formal quotation uses the words "renew fascias, soffits, eaves and gutters ". I only learned about the different methods after the event.
    My argument is that have fitted them in a way that will result in damage to my property.

4. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

sorry to hear as your enjoyment of the new has now been mared by a realtively simple fix
    a large payout for a dormer i would think no dought all you family would now not have thers done until yours was put right

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Do you have legal cover on your home insurance? If so, use it.

6. tz123

tz123 New Member

I will going via small claims (legal cover excludes building works). Basically do you think I am in right here?

7. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

yes but its how you put it over to the man in the white wig use proof so your renew souns just the thing but the method statment thet the manufactor may explain how its fitted to the builder worth a check as you are alwas suppose to follow it

8. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

Felt support trays should of been installed anyway when the facias were renewed just basic practice.

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Capping board is 9mm thick. I'd be very surprised if that alone was causing the issue.

CGN likes this.
  10. tz123

tz123 New Member

IMG_1598.JPG

Picture of gutter

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

12. The tiles do not look as if they had enough over hang before the fitting of the pvc, but just worked.The fitting of the pvc has done away with any over hang almost completely.
    They need to come back and rectify their shoddy work,which could cause bad damp and rot problems.

Jord86 likes this.
  13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The OP has another thread on the go with damp coming in via a pathetic attempt at flashing a new dormer, at the moment it appears a bunch of cretins rather than proper roofers or carpenters undertook the work.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Like everything these days it's down to price...hear it all the time...oooh you are £2000 more than the cheapest quote we have already had and we are waiting for another 2 to come yet!

Jord86 likes this.
  15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No guarantee the OP is a tightarse, but on the whole I'm inclined to agree with you. Missed out on a couple of decent jobs in the last month due to being undercut. One actually had the seventh quote turn up as I was leaving :D RSJ job that was (or wasn't), should have guessed when she blew out of her hole after asking for a "ballpark figure" and not liking the number. It's the nature of the game but it really piffles you off when you waste a day or so of your time on this earth going to see the job, pricing it, typing it out, for them to turn around and go with Dai from the pub, or with a couple of uninsured, unqualified, unhygenic underlings.

Astramax and AlvyChippy like this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not suggesting in this case it was down to price of the job but who knows, lost 7 jobs last year 5 of them one after another so well peed off, made my mind up to retire a year earlier than planned for. Way to many Peteski Poleskia in the area, folks are only interested on how much they shell out not who does the job for a fair and honest cost.

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Too true, yet the biggest injustice is the decent guys get tarred with a cacky brush when the cheapest quote clears off leaving bedlam, then tightarse homeowner gets on their soapbox forming a bad opinion of all trades, plus working for someone knowing they've been shafted previously is an unpleasant experience, they watch like a hawk and are predisposed into thinking you are going to fleece them and add 'extras' at every opportunity.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

And to top that.....ask you................... 'can you put it right'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I've gotten quite hard faced over the last couple of years due to each negative experience with potential, previous or existing customers, it's a zero tolerance policy for me now if they ask to rectify anyone else's work, especially if Ive wasted time there previously. I don't even have the patience or inclination to lower my self respect to agree to do the work for a sum I'd be happy with, rather just say "sorry, too busy" and let them reap what they've sown. Nasty perhaps, but at least I'm honest.

20. tz123

tz123 New Member

The loft company are a member of the Federation of Master Builders. I thought this would give me some security. I have been through their dispute process but they only act as a mediator. If the builder stonewalls you there is not much you can do apart from court.
    The main reason I put this post up was for some technical feedback on the gutter - which confirms what I have been advised.
    Thanks All