Slabtech warped

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Not-a-Decor8r, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

Hi,

Just got these this week for kitchen, when putting the second worktop on with a join it appears to be raised about 0.5 mm on one end, visible with gap between unit and worktop.

I've spoken to Sheridan who said it needs to have a bit of heat to resolve so will leave a heater in the kitchen tonight.

Kitchen has been rather cold this week so is this what the 24/48 hours recommended period of leaving them in room temperature is effectively doing?

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As a rule, all worktops should be at room temp for at least 24 hours before machining and fitting. We all know though that in 99% of cases that simply is impossible when they are at full length.
    What we always try to do is cut them 50mm over length for each run and then move them into the house the day before actually fitting them. That won't in all cases get any bows out them by the way. That's because they would have been stored at the suppliers for weeks at the wrong temperature anyway.

Jimmycloutnail and Not-a-Decor8r like this.
  3. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

Jeez a blowed...I've got a 1300w heater on them as I type, is it worth leaving this on in there all night or useless?

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Useless to be honest. The tops need to be at room temp for 24 hours not loads of degrees above room temp.

5. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

Bit weird the post I replied too has gone...maybe he was taking the P*ss.

Makes sense to leave out to settle.

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Not only has the post been removed, but the Troll that posted it has been removed as well :D

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

Idiots...id already been down the garage and bought a tank of propane.

Pics are what I'm seeing.

Attached Files:

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Before actually placing blame on the worktops, are you absolutely 100% certain that the base cabs are completely level ?

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

For how long though?

kitfit1 likes this.
  10. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

Yes.....

11. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Almost certainly at some point or indeed any point........................the only certainty is he/they will be back.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

As dependable as an England middle order batting collapse.....

13. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

0 in stock.....8 in another store

14. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

1300w heater for a few hours...

Attached Files:

15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I would still just leave it at room temp for 24hrs even if it has flattened out. And i would leave the worktop adhesive in the room for the same time.

16. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

Had probably about 4 times where this has happened to me.....solution has been to apply heat directly to the worktop as high as possible to the worktop when on top of cabinets.

Should flatten when heat turned off when its lowered and cooled down within about 3-4 hours.

Now onto a bill to Sheridans for my electricity...? Which reminds me, NEVER phone Sheridans with a mobile for any support, they have a premium number.