PVC Double Door leak

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Sparkyboy2406, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Sparkyboy2406

Sparkyboy2406 New Member

Hi all - I am hoping someone can help. We have a set of double doors that open into our flat. They are on the top floor of our apartment block which is only 5 floors but when we have heavy rain we get bad leaks. I looks like the water is not even making it to the outlet holes.

I am not sure if it is coming through the the seal around the glass. When the door is closed it seems very tight and secure.

I appreciate any help or tips that people can give so I can get this resolved once and for all.

Hopefully the pictures and video show in better betdailcan show the leaks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Appears as if manufacturing mistake to not to have drainage in the doors in front of a rubber seal point on a frame.
    I noticed drainage channel on a threshold and rubber seal close to the edge within the frame, hence, in-between them, where doors should have drainage point.
    Get some "macro" setting on your phone camera and take pictures from underneath to prove my guesswork being on the dot ;)

Sparkyboy2406 likes this.
  3. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

if you can take close up picture that will show details like in here that will help (not asking to cut the door or frame;) just to see shape and seals Capture3.JPG

Sparkyboy2406 and AlvyChippy like this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m only diy me but something don’t look right with those upvc doors and internal wooden frame - there’s a lash up there or something’s gone wrong with the instal

With upvc doors/windows and upvc frame, bottom of door frame sits in a square, u shape channel, which makes up the frame

Drainage holes are drilled on the outwards facing side so water can only drain one way - to the outside

Hard to see on the video, as others have said needs some close up camera work

But is metal frame simply a 90degree angle ? Can’t quite figure out what’s what in video

Looks like base of metal frame is level with timber, can see drainage holes at the front but what stops the water from traveling backwards, into the room

Sorry if I’ve got this wrong, maybe my eyes are deceiving me :confused:

5. Sparkyboy2406

Sparkyboy2406 New Member

[​IMG] B29ADDB0-F25F-4A76-BE3F-A153CA2B3DF5.jpeg 53921A69-098B-437D-8425-5846753B6245.jpeg Thanks everyone for the reply. To be honest this has always been a problem that has got progressively worse. I have taken another video and a few more pics. Hopefully you can see on the post. Tbh I wouldn’t be surprised if it was dodgy manufacturing. We have a window in the bedroom that has started showing the same issue. I would say it’s probably a similar problem

Again thanks for reading and I ready appreciate any advice

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Still struggling to clearly see the shape of the profile at base of aluminium frame (viewing on my phone on a rattling train)

So the base of frame, is it a square shape ‘U’ profile or is it simply a 90degree angle ?

If square U, then water gets trapped inside profile and can only go one way, forwards to outside via drain holes

If just angle, what is stopping water seeping backwards into room

Can you confirm on profile shape pls

Also as the door is thicker than metal frame and lock catches are fixed to timber, any moisture that gets inside door frame will simply drain onto timber frame

The U shape door frame should be same depth as door, surely ?

So any water, either from inside door frame or from running down outside glass gets trapped in U channel, then can only escape outside via drain holes

I’m only diy but those doors look totally mismatched to the frame

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  7. JustPhil

JustPhil Active Member

Those doors look inside out to me....

8. Sparkyboy2406

Sparkyboy2406 New Member

I will get some pics in daylight tomorrow.

This is obviously a silly question but can you explain what the profile is.

9. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

The frame doesn't look fit for purpose, there are drain slots on the outer frame but not inner.
    How old is the flat/doors ?

10. Sparkyboy2406

Sparkyboy2406 New Member

2008 the flat was built. We have lived here for 3 years and since we lived here I recall a small leak but it has just gotten worse and worse.

Ideally we wouldn’t want to replace the doors. Part of me thinks that the water is seeping in between the seal and the glass and then missing the drain slot and feeding into the house.

Complete guess though. One thing is for sure the wood fram is soaking wet when there is a leak and the outlet holes are near dry

11. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

jesus! combination of PVC and timber :) well it was a matter of time....
    quick term solution- re-set lock sockets to squeeze more the seals
    proper way of fixing- start obtaining quotes for new doors, let me know if you want to have contact details for good quality door/windows
    Daniel

12. Sparkyboy2406

Sparkyboy2406 New Member

I think it’s aluminium and timber

New doors would be a pain but probably the only way to completely fix it.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

They look like aluminum clad timber doors. And not very old by the looks of it.

Not sure how rain is getting past the seals in to the inside. Is there a chance that the rains is seeping through the gaskets on the glazing?

The two pictures on post 1 show that the timber is getting damaged by constant rain and has misaligned with paint distortion.

14. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Still, not wat would have been most helpful, not the image from the bottom, to see where exactly drain is (if there is one)

100% design flaw. Run off channel should be covering centre point of the glass unit, so the water would run against own seal, over the frame seal, in to the outlet tray and out of a frame tresold.(gaskets should've "passed each other" when door is shut...

Your lockin mecanism is on inside and most likely leaked through sides in to the bottom.

On the top of everything, considering upvc seal at the bottom, being on the inside of treshold seal (not overlap in)- wind would blow the water on to the door and let it leak in to the room.

Glass gaskets always leak as well, hence properly made doors have outlet holes for the water to run from the frame glass housing on outside plastic and then in to the "draining tray"- frame threshold.

The only solution, I could offer is to have doors readjusted to have gaskets tighter, also to try to make sure they have drainage holes in the right place (angle grill and ~4mm drill bit to make them...) That is, apart from possibility of water gushing in the middle (between the doors)...