So how's Brexit going?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by chippie244, Mar 20, 2019.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm winning a bet very soon.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Is that the one with Trevor or was it with Monkey Spanker?

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just a bloke in the pub, Trevor did actually take the bet but we didn't give a date so it's still open.

4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

And the bet was?

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The bloke in the pub, not going to exit on time. Trevor, not going to exit.

6. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Certainly looks like we are not exiting when we were supposed to.
    That is, if the EU allows us to delay.
    Think they will because the EU have nothing to lose if we hang in there for longer

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

This is hardly the bravado the leave campaign sold Brexit on.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

£350 million to the NHS,
    Not happening

Easiest trade deals ever,
    Not happening.

Hans_25 likes this.
  9. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

But Brexit is not happening, - so far.

Not fair for anyone to say Brexit is not delivering, when it hasn’t been implemented by our politicians, predictably.

Baxi Boy likes this.
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do you seriously still think that we are going to get a Brexit bonus when every economist has said it is going to ruin our economy for a generation.
    If you support Brexit for ideological reasons then fair enough but accept that it is going to finish the country.

11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Brexit isn’t my worry.
    It is our politicians that are ruining the country.
    Brexit has called their bluff and many of our politicians have proved to be weak

12. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin Active Member

Would you accept a small wager that Treeza will be killed off before the end of summer and Gove of Toad Hall will slither into the hot seat?
    After all she's now only a Leader In Name Only; or LINO - hard to nail down and easy to walk over :p

13. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

To my way of thinking the EU will say that you can't have an extension - your leaving on March 29th.
    TM will say but we can't leave without a deal, it's not allowed, I know, we'd better stay in the EU after all.
    What an utter balls up it will have been from start to finish!

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The problem is May is pandering to extremists like the ERG and single issuers like the DUP.

Skews everything.

Seems like holding onto (an utterly pointless as the UK is currently a cryogenically frozen state) bit of power is more important than the UK national interest for May and Tories

15. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

“Single issuers like the DUP” ?
    The Backstop and border down Irish Sea are critical to NI and remember when you sign up for something, there is no way of reversing it.
    Also note a few facts that have been ignored, - the UUP (Ulster Unionist Party) also agree with the DUP on the above issues, as do some smaller parties, and independents, all in NI.
    Plenty in Westminister take same view.
    Also Sinn Fein were an anti EU party and have admitted they are just using Brexit as an opportunity to try to further their aims (in creating division).

Should the DUP and other people in NI be ignored because they are seen as not a threat to violence?

16. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I would not regard the DUP as a one issue party. UKIP on the other hand...

I predict this is not going to end well. On the one hand I have some sympathy for TM as this was never going to be easy and I honestly think she has done her best. However what we're facing now is a complete clusterf**k and she's the one in charge at the top and must take responsibility for it. In hindsight TM should have approached the issue differently, been much stronger with the EU and engaged with other parties to get a cross party support.

Heat likes this.
  17. Broon

Broon Active Member

I'd say its going the way some imagined it would. It was always going to be a difficult process and one which Theresa May should not have been given the reigns of.
    She and her party have done terrible and I would say we need someone else in charge but I don't want labour and see no real alternatives. We are currently stuck between a rock and a hard place.

18. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I too have sympathy for Theresa May, she can't do right for doing wrong.
    If it comes to leaving without a deal, the outcome won't be bad and a great deal better than if the TM/EU deal is adopted.

Baxi Boy likes this.
  19. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I think the vast majority of MPs would disagree with that statement. Define "not bad" - in what sense? Certainly not economically.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Right at the beginning May said that Article 50 wouldn't be invoked without a plan and then she did just that.