Cooker Socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by OllyUK, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

How do you think? C2, or if there is evidence of it burning etc. then C1.

Do you need me to hold your hand?

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I'll say "no code" as it's not contravening any regs!

Bazza-spark and Comlec like this.
  3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hazard to user - further explanation is unnecessary

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Exactly, some sense at last.

5. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

6. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I have listed several.

7. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Yes you have. Shall we look at them
    Ok.

134.1.1 Good workmanship by skilled or instructed persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers' instructions.

Clutching at straws comes to mind

134.1.5 Electrical equipment shall be installed in such a manner that the design temperatures are not exceeded.

Hardly likely.

131.3.1 The electrical installation shall be so arranged that the risk of ignition of flammable materials due to high temperature or electric arc is minimized. In addition, during normal operation of the electrical equipment, there shall be minimal risk of burns to persons or livestock.

Can't see a danger of arc, and if the temperature gets too high the op will notice when it turns brown. Normally these faceplates are not flammable.

528.3.1 A wiring system shall not be installed in the vicinity of services which produce heat, smoke or fumes likely to be detrimental to the wiring, unless it is protected from harmful effects by shielding arranged so as not to affect the dissipation of heat from the wiring.

In areas not specifically designed for the installation of cables, e.g. service shafts and cavities, the cables shall be laid so that they are not exposed to any harmful influence by the normal operation of adjacent installations (e.g. gas,water or steam lines).

Really? This is wiring systems!

528.3.3 Where an electrical service is to be installed in proximity to one or more non-electrical services it shall be so arranged that any foreseeable operation carried out on the other services will not cause damage to the electrical service or the converse.
    NOTE: This may be achieved by:
    (i) suitable spacing between the services, or
    (ii) the use of mechanical or thermal shielding.

Clearly not even close to being relevant. Again, services.

You really are losing the plot! Talk about others being dangerous.

Oh, and by the way. Hurl verbal abuse and insults this time and I will report it. If you can't make a sensible argument shut up.

Pollowick and Comlec like this.
  8. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

You failed to acknowledge the explicit prohibition in a superior national standard.

9. Bazza-spark

Unlike you I will admit I have no knowledge of that standard which is only national to you.

But how can it be superior to a British Standard that applies throughout the UK and in many other countries too?

Joker!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Pollowick likes this.
  10. JC2779

JC2779 Member

Its certainly not ideal and I certainly wouldn't expect that to be done on a new install. However at times you can only work with what you've got, Ideally yes move it so it is a more readily available position. At minimum it should really be changed for one without a plug socket as that is posing the bigger potential risk with an appliance lead potentially being near a hot surface.

11. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Why are you so arrogant to believe that any UK standard is superior to other standards?

12. Bazza-spark

And why are you so arrogant that you think your Irish standard and you are better than anybody else?

13. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Olly, it obviously isn't compliant with latest best guidance, but isn't going to present any more hazard connected to a new cooker as it did to the old one. If you don't want to DIY, find a handyman if all the sparks run away - they only have to connect three wires, no more than wiring a plug.

Have to say, of all the forums the electricians one seems least helpful to the OPs because it always gets bogged down in anal discussions about minutiae of obscure regs, instead of advising real world solutions to getting stuff done safely, bearing in mind real-world practicalities.

Comlec likes this.
  14. mhar

mhar Member

If the isolator was for emergency switching then it would be unsuitable. However it is for maintenance so is just not desireable.

15. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Far more than undesirable - there is a socket-outlet above the hob. What happens to the appliance flex?

Outrageously stupid.

16. mhar

mhar Member

Sorry, initially I wasn't logged in and didn't see the photo. The socket outlet changes my opinion.

17. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I do hope the OP’s friend is enjoying her Sunday dinner from her new cooker.

That is unless she, like hundreds of others, have been killed or seriously injured by misplaced cooker isolators.

mcooper2406 likes this.
  18. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The cooker switch above the hob is Ok if it is considered only as an isolator. However, it also serves as a means of emergency switching, then it is not acceptable as it would be hazardous to reach in the event of a chip pan fire. In the case shown their is clearly not enough room to fit the switch to the side, so I would simply describe it as "A cooker isolator", it fulfils that requirement. The emergency switching can be performed by the main switch in the consumer unit.

19. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I have never read the relevant regs but have always known that a cooker switch should be to the side of the cooker to allow access in a fire situation.

Does anybody still cook chips in an open pan on the cooker?

20. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select