So how's Brexit going?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by chippie244, Mar 20, 2019.

1. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

And yet you still refuse to show any - not even one - of these supposed instances.
    According to you there are "many" so picking one, just one, surely can't be hard for someone who purports to be telling the truth.
    Are you telling lies, chopstick?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Troll.

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

It's far from ironic that a remainer will willingly quote what another has said without adding the context.
    There's no irony at all, it just what they do.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

It's very easy to predict the responses of a simpleton like you, chopstick.
    It was a dead cert you'd say exactly that.
    Err, err, - oh I know I'll just shout out 'troll'.
    Just admit it chip's. You don't have a single solitary example that you know of where I've told a lie.
    No?
    Good.
    You were telling lies again weren't you!

6. greenback78

greenback78 Active Member

Hey Bob. Finance professional here. If we press the button on our hard-Brexit contingency plans, there is a whole world of pain ahead. We aren’t the only ones. They aren’t scare stories, they’re real consequences of Brexit.

EU will be fine without us. In fact the Brexit saga is something of a boring distraction now as they have more interesting things to talk about like the coming global slowdown (dammit China!), the rise of pro-Russia Eastern Europe and the angle of bend in bananas*

*not actually true

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

When a lying troll lies and trolls and lies about being a lying troll there isn't much more to say.
    I have pointed out your lies but you lie about that because you are a lying troll.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Of course you have chopstick, we believe you.
    It would be hard not to, what with all this evidence that you keep on bringing to the table.
    Exhibit: 0
    Exhibit : 0 + 0.
    Exhibit: 0 + 0 + 0.
    It's irrefutable.

9. MrA

MrA Member

Just be clear, I voted leave. I always suspected that it would probably be kyboshed as there's a history of "revotes" with regard to national votes that don't go the way of the European Union.

As soon a remainer became leader of the Conservatives the writing was on the wall even through the rhetoric May spouted over the last two years I was never fully convinced. And here we are, a poor "negotiation" where we gave the EU the upper hand from day one. In my humble opinion we should have opened with the premise that we were leaving on WTO rules, set aside the savings from EU club membership to cover unforeseen costs or difficulties upon leaving without and deal and then said to the EU to come back to us with a deal as the trade deficit is £50bn in their favour. The net advantage we had was at least £85bn any hardship we would have suffered would have been far worse for the Germans, who lets face it, run the EU. By now all British exporters to the EU would be ready for WTO rules and any negotiated position could only be an improvement on that.

I haven't protested in years and I'm ready to do it if we get stiffed.

Baxi Boy and Heat like this.
  10. MrA

MrA Member

There have been many finance professionals who have been spectacularly incorrect since the days of the ERM, Euro launch and the Brexit vote to name but three, the short term pain of a full Brexit would be worth it to truly be a global economy free from the shackling effects of EU regulations and protectionism.

Baxi Boy and Heat like this.
  11. greenback78

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-trade-deficit-eu/

Please stop quoting the nonsense about trade deficits without the context.

Vixere likes this.
  12. greenback78

Oh mate.

No point arguing against dogma with facts. All the very best to you.

13. MrA

MrA Member

Please stop linking to ****, services wouldn't be affected by Brexit regardless as London is a banking powerhouse, that was under scrutiny by the EU for regulations just to note. The EU couldn't close their borders or place tarriffs on services particularly as it would heavily affect their cash flows, not just that they dont have the financial infrastructure to shut us out, they've been trying for many years.

So thanks for pointing out an even stronger argument for us leveraging our clout whilst negotiating leaving.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

Trade deficit with EU
    UK imports from the EU were £341 billion (53% of all UK imports). ... The UK had an overall trade deficit of -£67 billion with the EU in 2017. A surplus of £28 billion ontrade in services was outweighed by a deficit of -£95 billion on trade in goods. The UK had a trade surplus of £41 billion with non-EU countries.30 Nov 2018

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Its laughable.

Trevor is largely isolated on here now. Just noise.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The concept that Brexit is short term pain for long term benefit is lunacy.

16. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

David Davies had to resign because May was keeping him in the dark,and not allowing him to negotiate,she was a remainer,and still is,so didnt want to get us out in the first place.As for these silly petitions,well anyone can make up as many names as they like,its all rather fake,the only figures that count are the 52% and 48%.Why cant the losers just accept democracy,just as leavers would have to if they were the 48%.These Europe lovers should just go and live there if it's so wonderful!

longboat and Heat like this.
  17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You are aware the UK isnt being physically moved as a result of Brexit right.

You know there is no intention to leave Europe right.

As for the rest of your paranoid conspiracy theory and wailing. Thats just loudmouthed garbage.

18. biffothegrizzly

biffothegrizzly New Member

Thankfully, nobody here is running the show ...:p

19. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Thanks Greenback. I look at the body language and the actions of the EU as a crash out gets more likely, this tells me that both Barnier and Tusk have a change of underwear ready, they are getting very nervous. I agree that it is a dangerous game and disruption will follow a crash out, but for how long, we have survived 11 years of 'Austerity'.

MrA likes this.
  20. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

A thread on Brexit! How exciting :)

Greenback, why do you think the EU will be fine without us? Surely they will be seriously hit too? Not as much as us, fair enough, but still very significantly especially when things are economically rough for them in any case. I also suspect a no-deal Brexit will even hit the world economy.