Cooker Socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by OllyUK, Mar 20, 2019.

1. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I have a friend who complained his flat smelt funny when he got back after a 2 week holiday. Turns out he left the thermostatic electric deep fat fryer on.

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I agree with your sentiment Rob, it would be far better to one side. But if the emergency switching function is relegated to the CCU main switch, then a case could be made to accept this cooker switch in it's present position. Others have quoted new regulations concerning this install, clearly it pre dates the latest regulations and these should not be applied retrospectively.

3. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I keep a couple of fire extinguishers in my kitchen (2kg powder and 2kg CO2) which I use to hold the doors open in the Summer, but I suppose I could also use them to fight any cooker fires.

4. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Firstly, I'm not sure that any particularly new Regulations have been quoted.

Secondly, it simply isn't true to suggest that simply because something didn't breach any Regulations at the time it was installed that it is acceptable now.

Fused neutrals were permissible at one time, but they absolutely aren't now.

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Yes and we used to send children down mines. This is not such a drastic deviation from current regulations as the ones cited, my point is that if we allow the emergency switching role to be taken by the main switch in the CCU, then this cooker unit need not be the emergency switch and the chip pan fire issue with the need to use the cooker switch for emergency, no longer exists.

6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I don't know why I bother posting advice sourced from real experts! Did anyone actually watch the fire service video.

Advice is simple
    CALL 999
    Get everyone out
    And only turn off the cooker at the controls IF SAFE TO DO SO.

7. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I really can't believe the negativity in this thread.

We have somebody down on their luck and relying on charity for help. That cooker circuit has probably been there 15+ years and is showing no sign of heat distress.

Yes, I agree it isn't ideal, but for goodness sake there must be a good 18 inches between the heating elements and the switch in the photo. Get the cooker connected, feed the poor soul that is down on their luck, and worry about the other issues later.

I may be wrong, but I am guessing the soul does not own the property, in which case the landlord could be informed that improvement would be a good move.

@OllyUK I hope you have had this connected now and the soul is ok.

Best regards

Comlec, seneca, Coloumb and 1 other person like this.
  8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I would imagine it has more to do with what the area around the top of the hob is the no-go zone according to the manufactures. I believe this is law for gas cookers but only guidance for electric hobs. The placement of that switch looks ok to me, not ideal but workable, ie it's not @Risteard DIRECTLY above the cooker.

9. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It's unacceptable.

10. Bazza-spark

So you would rather see a soul starve?

Or would you rewire it free of charge?

11. It,as far as I know has never been an acceptable practice to mount a cooker unit above a hob and very bad practice.
    H6 in the on site guide even warns against it, and to say it was done years ago the cookers had high level grills at the time and would be behind it.

Risteard likes this.
  12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I'm sure you have one standard for the forum and another for real life.

13. Bazza-spark

With all due respect, it is what it is. Do you want to join @Risteard and see them without food? Or do you want to make the best of a bad job.

This isn't a new installation, it is existing.

Kind regards

14. Bazza-spark

I'm not. I think he would see them without food, heat, alsorts.

Kind regards

Comlec likes this.
  15. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Use a toaster with rubber gloves and wellies on!!!!

16. IW guy

IW guy New Member

Risteard Lives in the UK, Londonderry, not in the Irish Republic. The Irish standard does not apply to the UK.

17. IW guy

IW guy New Member

A cooker switch is not even required in the regs, perhaps you should read them. How can the regs regulate the position of something that is not required?

18. Bazza-spark

Yes, I know. Also he left the forum in April 2019.