Advice on painting skirtingboards

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Tayla Burgess, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Tayla Burgess

Tayla Burgess New Member

Hi people!

Just purchased a home, which I thought that didn't needed decorating but now I can see every room needs painting!

Never painted before, spent last few days searching for forums, and YouTube.

I have a little knowledge now, but would like some guidance.

Door frames and skirting boards
    Am I right to just light sand them, apply an undercoat (water based) leave to dry light sand, dust, and then apply 2 Coates of white gloss?

Any recommendations on what paints or more tips would be mich appreciated.

Ihave been looking at Leylands undercoat and gloss for skirting and frames, will use Dulex or Johnstones for walls.

Thanks!!!

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Depends if you like painting whether you need two top coats :p I think you will find U/C + one topcoat will give you a decent finish. You might also consider satin rather than gloss - your choice. Leyland and Johnstones all come out of the same factory - I hate painting and my decorator uses leyland trade for everything.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I used Dulux Once satinwood a few years ago. It was oil based and has gone slightly off white which is common.

There is so much choice of paints. Water based could allow a much quicker drying between coats.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Should you choose the waterbase paints either satin or gloss one undercoat followed by two top costs are recommended, if new unpainted timber, one primer, one undercoat and two gloss or satin for a decent result, Crown Fast Flow is highly worthy of consideration but stick with the same brands for primer, u/coat, gloss & satin etc.;)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can highly recommend 'The Paint Shed', I can usually get Crown Fast Flow water based satin & primer/under coat cheaper from there than I can locally.

Even with postage of £6.99 on orders under £75 inc VAT, it's pretty easy to get to £75 order if you got a whole house to paint.

https://www.thepaintshed.com/crown-trade-fastflow-quick-dry-primer-undercoat-all-colours-cpwooer317

https://www.thepaintshed.com/crown-trade-fastflow-quick-dry-satin-white-cp5091987

Also use a quailty synthetic paint brushes with water based paint, like Purdy Monarch Elite.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Or cheapo Harris ones on offer at Screwfix at moment!

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Going to be trying the Crown Fast flow later on the year, as seess its been mentioned a few times on here.

Have used Dulux Trade Quick Dry Satinwood, but didn't like.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

10. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

Dulux trade (Non quick dry for me). Expensive but its wood and you won't need to do it for years.

11. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.