So how's Brexit going?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by chippie244, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

What has she left to offer? She's tried money, threats of a no-deal, her dignity, and now even her own head to try and buy a few more votes.

Damn it all, I guess she'll have to resort to democracy.

Baxi Boy and Heat like this.
  2. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

It does (but only if we can afford it).

3. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

How rubbish do you have to be when "I'll quit" isn't a threat, it's a bribe?

Jord86 and Vixere like this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

No deal means boarder post in Ireland. Can't see that happening. Be troubles we don't want so I believe no deal will ever happen on that point alone

5. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

Leave is what won the referendum,deal or no deal.We didn’t vote for any deal-just to leave!

6. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin Active Member

7. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

One question on the referrendum - I know a few folk who voted to leave and they all had the exact same reason for wanting to leave - immigration.
    So I am curious - do any of the leave voters have a different reason for wanting to leave?

Just genuinely asking the question - in the hands of a tory government, our health service and welfare system won't stand a chance, we know that so what is the big driver that is causing people to cut off their noses to spite their face?

Vixere likes this.
  8. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

There are numerous reasons for needing to get out.Yes one is immigration,too many people filing our hospitals,schools,housing stock,while British wait longer or remain homeless.They take British jobs and keep wages down and cause many of us to be out of work.Then there’s the issue of foreigners from Brussels telling us what to do and making our laws.We managed fine before getting involved with that lot,and could again given the chance.

9. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

But what bad things have the foreigners from Brussels forced us to do? As far as I can see all the european laws have been to our benefit?
    Do you trust a tory government to do a better job of acting in the best interest of the working classes than the european parliament?

And to say that we managed fine before is just nostalgia - forgetting the ugly parts of the past.

Jord86 likes this.
  10. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Wait, what?

What you seem to be saying is we need more nurses and teachers and builders? Isn't that how we get more hospitals, schools and housing stock?

Well done. It sounds like you've found the problem and the solution. They pay taxes too.

I'm not sure it bodes well for British productivity or education if we can't even compete with immigrants.

Who from Brussels has been telling you what to do? What did they tell you to do? Was it kinky? You want to watch out. They're a funny lot over there.

You do know that "before getting involved with that lot" we were known as the "sick man of Europe".

Jord86, Odd Bodkin and Vixere like this.
  11. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

12. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

Now we are even more the sick man of Europe,with lower pensions than most of them,because we give them our billions,and get a fraction back.We need to let in the ones we need,but not millions of unskilled foreigners taking jobs from our people.As for paying taxes,they often take low paid jobs and pay little or no tax,yet claim benefits like tax credits and send it back home.When we first joined it was a few fairly equal countries paying the same and getting equal trading benefits,now we pay far more than we ever get back because we have to support poor places like Poland.In time other countries will want to get out too and the whole corrupt set up will collapse hopefully.

13. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

It's ok, Bodkin; our MPs - who are not all the same, not all out for themselves, not all liars, etc etc - know what they are doing.

They are saving the country from a bunch of idiots.

It's quite altruistic behaviour when you think of it; if these sensible MPs simply did the bidding of their Leaver electorate - how easy would that be?! - then they'd presumably still have a job (which, according to many Leavers is all they are interested in) after a no-deal Brexit, and could look down pityingly on their 'people' and tell them "Well, it's what you wanted, isn't it?"

14. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

A certain well-honest plumber I know confirmed that - with every single Leaver he asked - "too many w***" was exactly the reason they voted Leave. And the only reason.

15. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

That's a comprehensive list, Baxi.

Now, can you back up one single one with facts?

16. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin Active Member

If those asterisks represent the word w.anchors then i agree with that.
    If, however, it means a derogatory term for gentlemen of colour then they ought to be ashamed - or does he really want us to all return to the seventies and 'love thy neighbour'?

Mind you, an honest plumber is as rare as hen's teeth; like an honest tory. Almost a contradiction in terms but some of 'em are , like the truth, 'out there' ;)

Vixere likes this.
  17. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin Active Member

Is preserving the peace in europe, and pushing back Russian influence in the eastern bloc, worth paying for?
    I'd say it is, considering the costs of conflict and division.

Concerned about a Polish plumber taking your job?
    Get better at your job and become more competitive in the market.
    Concerned about a failing nhs?
    Provide incentives for British citizens to find a career in nursing an attractive proposition, rather than importing Portugeuse carers.
    Concerned about Bulgarian gypsies taking our homes?
    Apply pressure at local level and write to your m.p in support of affordable housing.

We do not have to leave the EU in order for these things to be made possible.

Vixere likes this.
  18. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Yeah. Playing hangmen with the asterisks would suggest that people need reminding that the Indian subcontinent isn’t in the EU.

Ooo - can we have “mind your language” back too? I enjoyed that.

19. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Or propositioning an attractive nurse. That works too.

Vixere and Odd Bodkin like this.
  20. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin Active Member

Oh, Matron! What a carry on :p

btiw2 likes this.