What version of leave is acceptable as leave?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by chippie244, Mar 26, 2019.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Can there ever be reconciliation between Eire and NI and leavers and remainers?
    I know that's two different questions really but lets see where it goes.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are any leavers going to comment on the fact that the leave campaign have admitted that they cheated in the referendum?

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

The news report stated they decided not to continue fighting it due to lack of funds.
    Does happen.
    Begs the old question, - why was Cameron allowed to spend 9 million pounds (or whatever it was) on a Remain leaflet?

Baxi Boy likes this.
  6. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

That is going to be near impossible to answer.

7. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

The news report stated that lack of funds was their reason for not pursuing it further, that's all. Do you believe that it was down lack of funds? What do your critical faculties suggest? I mean, the protagonists aren't exactly short of a bob or two, and the findings of this case are going to do them harm, and if they really believed they had a legitimate case, they'd surely fight it to clear their names, wouldn't they?

That's what my CFs suggest to me.

And it doesn't beg any other question at all, so please leave that wee herring alone. Them's are the rools. You know this.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Leave spent millions but can't afford to pay legal fees, do you believe everything you're told?
    Don't bother answering this.

9. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

NI are fine With EIRE, DUP have rubbed lots of people up the wrong way though, other unionist parties and neutral parties are rubbing their hands together. If a hard Brexit happens and farming and export businesses get hit hard with duties and a border poll is called, there'll be a surprise result a la Brexit being a surprise

10. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin Active Member

Sadly, true: you may as well ask the Israeli govt. and Palestine round for a nice cup of tea to sort things out.

Heat likes this.
  11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Who have the DUP “rubbed up the wrong way” any why?
    Specifically what part do you or others think of their political thinking on Brexit is unreasonable? (Backstop, open borders or border in Irish Sea, etc)
    (Really important to answer the above, because we need then to look at who is making these allegations and where they originate)

Why no mention of Sinn Fein, SDLP or Leo Varadkar and his Eire goverment?
    Do you think they might have rubbed people up the wrong way?
    Do you think they might have been disrespectful, rude, mischievous and in Sinn Féin’s case, hypocrites and liars?

Leo Varadkar certainly opened people’s eyes in England to how neutral he and his government is - not!
    He played games in attempt to make him look good. The Irish leader looking after the people of Ireland, even though he knew full well Brexit would not harm Ireland. His use of the words “hard borders” when everyone in NI agreed to none, was disgraceful.
    Where in all his rhetoric did he even show a thought for those in any part of U.K. who supported Leave?
    His rant not long after the EU vote was “Unionists” made “this mess” !
    What an idiot! Or should I say, what a biased idiot!
    The claim that Brexit went against the GFA was another of his nonsense, yet no comment from him about a border in Irish Sea being against it.
    Then Sinn Fein suddenly became pro EU despite being an anti EU party, - as Gerry Adams said for SF to make use of the situation against Britain.

Plenty of people in NI will take note of how the Irish behaved towards them, although no surprise tbh.
    Good luck to anyone that thinks that Irish Republic want or can afford NI.

Why say NI is fine with Eire?
    Do you really think things are fine? Do you think Eire respects British people in NI, or for that matter, those of a different religion or British background in Eire? Things are better there, but not fine.

If other Unionist parties and some independents in NI are against the DUP on Brexit, do give their or their party names. I hear them saying the opposite, as most agree with the DUP.
    Seems to me that what actually happened is people that lost the vote (remainers) expected Westminister to allow NI to somehow stay within the EU, or extremely closely linked to it and then blame the DUP for not signing up to a Backstop of unknown timescale determined by the EU.

12. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

Blimey.

Anyways, "The Irish leader looking after the people of Ireland, even though he knew full well Brexit would not harm Ireland." According to reports I've read, a hard Brexit will likely harm the Irish economy more than any other EU country - after the UK of course.

A biased Heat accusing others of bias is not even funny.

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I began to try to give some sort of answer, but decided it would be endless. :)

Vixere likes this.
  14. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

The solution is in our children - don't segregate them.

Heat likes this.
  15. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Eire has no problem with NI people's religion.

Time will only tell if Brexit harms or not.

There's not many people I know from both backgrounds welcoming Brexit and all the uncertainty it brings, and that's from both sides of the border too.

Anyway, as I said time will tell. We have our great and powerful politicians looking after things, what possibly could go wrong?

I just want peace and prosperity for all in NI regardless of faith or colour and I can't see Brexit doing anything to add to help this.

Anyway, grab the popcorn and see what happens next, I've just filled out my Green Card application for driving in the Republic, that's just the start of the red tape nonsense.https://www.theaa.ie/blog/green-cards-need-to-know/

I am really looking forward to when NI puts the clocks forward next year and Dublin stays put, little old Ireland with a time zone in it, more nonsense to deal with when trying to do business.
    62.7% in NI Wished to remain for these and other reasons. Now with the facts of how Brexit really looks like I'd be surprised if this figure didn't go past 70%, not that that alone changes anything, it just shows Brexit to be an irritant to the majority of NI.

Heat likes this.
  16. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I was expecting a reply to that comment from me about Leo.
    He certainly didn’t look too worried about his Ireland economy.
    All that nonsense repeated from him about Hard Border and then there was the preparations on his side of the border he claimed .... and then he had to admit there wasn’t !

Ireland, north and south will be fine.
    If anyone thinks Eire are going to use EU rules to impose restrictions on NI to the detriment of Eire themselves, don’t believe it.

Me biased against Leo Varadkar?
    You bet! Just as he is biased

17. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I ‘liked’ your post as agreed with most of it.
    There will be a lot of people who voted Remain for economic reasons will now vote Leave. Mostly from the Unionist side. I know people who wanted out of EU but were persuaded to vote remain on the claim the economy was going to crash.
    The EU attitude has angered many.

Eire seems to have a problem with equality. Try getting a job in the Irish Civil Service, Garda, etc, if you come from NI or rest of U.K. and see how the discrimination happens.
    Those with Irish Language can apply, so should be okay for one religion, but not the other, or rest of folk from U.K.
    Just one example of discrimination carefully hidden in rules

18. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

"There will be a lot of people who voted Remain for economic reasons will now vote Leave." Polls indicate otherwise. Unless you know differently.

I'll put that alongside your claim that Leave.UK only withdrew their appeal against their conviction 'cos they didn't want to spend any more cash.

Are you going to back either claim up with anything?

19. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I was just repeating what the BBC news link reported the Leave UK give as their reason to withdraw their appeal.

Why is it that the focus is on an alleged over spend by Leave? Would it have altered the vote result?
    Why was Cameron’s leaflets spend allowed?

We will never know how another EU vote would go. But if you think angry pro Remainers are the only people going to come out in mass to vote again, I think the Leavers will not take the last couple years of political failure as reason to now commit to life in the EU prison. :)
    Polls were wrong before.

Baxi Boy likes this.
  20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If Leave didn't think the fraud would gain votes they wouldn't have committed it, are you happy that they committed fraud?