Upstairs flooring change help please

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by richard_baker, Mar 28, 2019.

1. richard_baker

richard_baker New Member

It’s the green 18mm structural flooring

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

No I mean what are you proposing for on top? Carpet, laminate, tile, luxury vinyl etc

richard_baker likes this.
  3. If you are going to the trouble lifting all the ply, do the job properly and put proper flooring back down.
    Use either 6x1 square edge or 6" tongue and groove,the sheets of nasty chipboard you plan to use should only be used to line a skip.
    They are cheap and nasty and used in shoddily built new builds so they can throw them up quicker.

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

For me the definite preferred option would be to sort the ply and overboard with thinner if needed for an LVT or whatever

Repaired ply is much better than particle board of any description.

5. richard_baker

richard_baker New Member

Oh sorry, it’s carpet on the landing and the bathroom in waterproof vinyl click planks

6. richard_baker

richard_baker New Member

Funny what you find, so when I installed the heating pipes I made sure the holes were neat and central on the joists. The sparky to done the house when it was built didn’t give a **** clearly lol

Attached Files:

7. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Screwfix Select

You prob wouldn’t still be doing it now if you had of!!

8. Holes should only be drilled between 0.4 and 0.25 of the span not central of the span.

9. richard_baker

richard_baker New Member

I mean Central of the depth not width bud

10. Jimmycloutnail

Ok mate cos your the authority on here ain’t you!! I told the op the flooring on timber frame houses are structural and should not be cut ideally but sometimes it has to be done, I’ve had to do this on a complete block of flats due to water damaged chipboard and after messing about with pry bars the boards came up faster with a shovel . You stick to laying flooring under dishwashers pal

11. richard_baker

richard_baker New Member

Wo wo wo lol come on lads let’s keep it civil ay, although it was funny ha.
    To be honest my shovel would of snapped lol
    It was a pain but 2 bars done the job in the end, another 3 bits to go on the landing
    Then the new stuff can go down.

Not looking forward to doing the bathroom thou, ah well no pain no gain.
    Just need to make me some small access panels so go where all the pipe joins are.

I’m a copper man myself but was told this speed fit stuff is the ******...I’m not totally convinced so I’d rather have the access panels...just in case

12. richard_baker

richard_baker New Member

Hmm 580mm centres there, May have to chuck in extra braces I thinks

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You will for 18mm flooring, 22mm would be OK.

14. richard_baker

richard_baker New Member

Strange as it’s already 18mm that’s been used. Ah well suppose the builders wernt to fussed when knocking this houses up years ago. Got some new joists in the van so il make a few braces up

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I am not the authority on anything. I just prefer to evaluate the situation prior to jumping to a conclusion.

Looks like your advice is going really well mate.

The geezers had nowt particularly unsolvable with his floor prior to your advice. Couple of hours, bit of battening, bit of 18mm ply and a box of screws

You told the chap to cut very repairable floor out and take it out with a shovel.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You didnt say anything about it not being ideal to take it out. You just told the chap to cut round the perimeter and hack it out with a shovel.

If a chipboard floor is beyond repair from a leak thats a different matter.

This floor just needed a bit of work to prep it.

17. Jimmycloutnail

I told him the floor was structural i a timber frame, and he asked the best way to get the chipboard up so I have him some advice from experiance, have you ever removed a felt roof? Shovel and pick far easier than pry bars try it

if he ply's the entire first floor the last riser on the staircase will be at least 18mm higher so not really an option unless he does the treads as well

By the sounds of he's done it and your advice was it would take months! You've clearly never done a job like this so prob best you just stick to plugging that awful quick step flooring you do on every thread

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Not sure you want to get into work Top Trumps. You might find yourself needing your shovel then.

As for "he has done the job" sounds like he has done just the landing. With the rest to follow.

As for the it will be 18mm higher. Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote.

Again and again you love to boast about how well you work, how much work you do, how everyone else is trying it on or getting shown up.

Wheras really all that happens is you offer duff advice, someone else queries it then you have a tantrum.

And whats wrong with Quickstep Livyn?

Good product.

If you had problems with it thats probably down to you not sharpening your shovel.

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Er. Did you even read the OPs post?

He has a ply floor not chipboard.

20. Jimmycloutnail

It's looks like cheap rental flooring, I'm sure your customers like it.