Tiles

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by tore81, Mar 31, 2019.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi guys

I'm looking for a cheap electric tile cutter. I need to cut some tiles which will have the.m cut against the trim.

Any good ones from the host?

Also I have one tile that hasn't bonded to wall. Have used the ready mixed adhesive and 6mm notched and back buttered.

Not sure how is leaving holes

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

What about hiring a tiie cutter.. Depends if you are happy to store it or use again but sometimes better to hire something really good to make job easy

KIAB likes this.
  3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Good point! I'll check how much they are too hire. And there is the storage issue.

Cheers x

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What size tile? Bigger the tile, the bigger the notch trowel

5. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

I became a bit brassed off with tile cutters. Tried Screwfix electric ones and took them back - water sprayed all over the place however much goes in. I was comparing it with a Wick's cheapo which actually is fine for straight normal cuts. The other problem was needing to make bevel cuts. Lots of them claim they can but in practice ones where the entire table tilts is the best option but ideally the blade needs to be in the middle of the table so they stick them right to one side. I bought a Ruby bridge saw in the end. When I have finished it'll go on ebay. Sometimes that works out cheaper than hire. I also tried the Vitrex one and took it back. The location of the head in the rail was ****. At least that one contained the water. Water runs off the edges of the Ruby.

For dry cutting I used a larger Vitrex than screwfix offer from toolstation. I spoilt a couple of tiles getting used to it but did lots of straight cuts without any problem. I found it best to put a bit of tile in front of the one being cut to get an idea of pressure before scoring the tile to be cut. I just ran straight off the "bit". To be honest I feel like turning it all around so that the cut is pulled rather than pushed. ;) I used a UK made brand one years ago and found that easier. It was a loan and I wish I had bought one. Unlike others something came up from underneath to break the cut so the bed was dead flat.

John
    -

6. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I used to have a DeWalt D24000 tile cutter. It wasn’t cheap, but was very accurate (including bevels) and would cut anything. I don’t know whether anywhere hires them out.

tore81 likes this.
  7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks all!!Also what is the best way to fit the tile trim I've seen it this side on the face. Any better options less alu on show

Attached Files:

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Can be done either way. I usually tile the walls before reveals, so cut the tiles a mm or 2 past the reveals, fit trim, then tile reveals. That way, you can align and square everything up.

tore81 likes this.
  9. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

I don't like tile trims. Thanks to a problem with a plasterer I no longer have much edge showing. I'm going to use a suitable colour of tile paint on the edges and see how that goes.

John
    -