Knotting showing through

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Shawt, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Shawt

Shawt Member

About 8 or 9 years ago I carefully treated all knots with Langlow Knotting stuff and undercoated and finished with Dulux Gloss white. Now the knots are showing through, particularly where exposed to sunlight. Should I sand right back to the knots and re-apply the knotting solution, or simply key the gloss, apply solution and then gloss?

2. Davebuilder

Davebuilder Member

Zinster stain block

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sand it down and paint over and beyond the knots with Zinsser BIN, it is a high adhesion shellac based primer which will cure your problem. Read and follow instructions as detailed on container.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Got so frustrated with my pine stairs I coated the lot in aluminium primer. 2 undercoats and then satin... Zinsser bin will be your best bet x2 over knots unless there are loads.. Maybe aluminium primer in the sunny spots? Stir it well as the aluminium becomes solid at the bottom and its a gray colour hense it's a pain to get white but nothing with ever get through

5. gac1967

gac1967 Member

The new Smith and Rodger blockade is better than Zinserr bin in my opinion, goes on easier and has less smell and its cheaper, and all jobs I have used it on have been spot on with no problems.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Who stocks it?

7. Shawt

Shawt Member

Thanks for the advice, good to get it from those who know.
    All I have to do now is get on with it!

8. gac1967

gac1967 Member

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  10. gac1967

gac1967 Member