5 lever mortice lock broken in locked position

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Darrell Whittaker, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Hi my front door 5 lever mortice lock has failed in the lock position. I cannot afford a locksmith so need to sort it myself. The key turns several times but the bolt does not retract. I have tried WD40 and my spare key. I have also tried the door from the other side. The only 2 options i can see are to either chisel out the wood frame around the hinges or chisel out the wood frame around the door lock.
    Any advice most appreciated.
    thanks
    darrell

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

can you post a picture of the lock please.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I managed to open my workshop door by using a ultra thin cut blade on 9" grinder to cut through the bolt,just enough room, & I've done others by cutting through hinges on inside with 4.5" grinder & thin cut blade.(Only works if hinges don't have anti jemmy lug.)

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Y. grind off/cut off the hinge knuckle (hopefully no anti-jemmy lugs as kiab says). You should be able to do this without doing any damage to door and frame. Then just replace the hinges ( and the lock of course)

If you find a thin piece of metal (like the blade of an old hand saw) you can place it on the face of the door and slide the cutter along it into the hings, and avoid damaging the door face.

5. thanks for the replies. pics attached. I can turn the key several times but the bolt does not move. there are no hinge pins to remove

Attached Files:

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Photo of hinges please.

7. hinge pic as requested.

Attached Files:

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thin cut blade on a 4.5" grinder will cut that easily,needs two cuts, so pin drops out/can be removed.

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

As per KIAB, but, do you own an angle grinder?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

This blade at competitor. 35514

Can't see these at our host.

11. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

if the key turns then use a thin scraper to move bolt from locked position it sound like the tag as broke in the gateway

KIAB likes this.
  12. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

if the key turns have you tried locking the door it might release the lock when you then unlock it.

13. once again thanks for the replies. my 4.5 angle grinder seems to have walked. i will have to try and scrounge one.how do use a thin scraper to move the bolt?

14. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

you use the scraper in the gap bewteen door and frame edging bolt into open position you need to turn key into open position

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Good blades and good price. I recommended these the other day on post regarding cutting down bolts

Super thin so great for accurate cutting

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Superb blade,long lasting great quailty,any blade with the name 'Norton' will be good.:)

17. i have tried locking the door several times and still no joy.

18. Thanks for all the advice. hinges grinded off and door off. i took off the lock plate and the lock started working again. But not for long, after another few turns it started to jam again. i have a couple of no brand old locks but am going to look for new quality lock. has anyone sugesstions that are reasonable priced. Does this look ok
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/yale-pm550-5-lever-sashlock-64mm-chrome_p059242
    or this
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/yale-pm560-british-standard-bs3621-5-lever-sashlock-64mm-chrome_p012584

thanks
    darrell

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yeah, but don't go to homebase, they'll bend you over.

KIAB likes this.
  20. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.