Filling and covering screw holds in hollow doors

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Magsie, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Magsie

Magsie New Member

We're in the process of having our house decorated. We have hollow doors and want to change the handles.

The decorator has used easyfill in the holes and painted over each door twice but the hole sites and edging of the previous handles are still visible.

Can anyone advise me what to do so that the previous holes and so forth are not visible.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Easifill is the wrong filler to have used, you don't mention the finish of the doors are they a smooth or false woodgrain finish, a good smoothing with an abrasive paper and then fill with a 2 part wood filler such as Décor Fill or Ronseal Woodfiller will fill the holes and dents to a satisfactory finish ready for painting.

WillyEckerslike and Magsie like this.
  3. Magsie

Magsie New Member

Thank you for your post. The doors are smooth hardboard front and back with battens around the outside. We have used oil based, eggshell paint.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Follow my advice and you will be good to go.;)
    Use an undercoat over the filled areas, 2 coats, when dry smooth the paint edges with fine sandpaper the blend in and then use the eggshell over the whole door. Surprised you have used oil based!

Magsie likes this.
  5. Magsie

Magsie New Member

Thanks again. We'll do as you suggest. We didn't realise there was a non oil based eggshell until we had started using the oil based one.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Many Acrylic types of paint available, personally I use a lot of Dulux Paints such as Quick Dry Eggshell, Diamond Eggshell (other brands are available) Johnstones, Little Green, Bedec, Crown, Farrow & Ball.... etc!

Magsie likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A lot of people just fill the holes and then sand. I always sand the holes to remove the ‘burr’ around the holes first, fill, then sand back smooth...unless I’m being totally lazy and don’t give a ****! :D

Magsie and DIYDave. like this.
  8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Your latter description sums up my decorating efforts perfectly....

CGN likes this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Days when I enjoy it, days when it’s a chore.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

‘The Decorator’ :eek:.......:D

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Says the 'The Frustrated Sous Chef' :(....... :confused:........:p.................:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

True that but I can still fill a screw hole with correct filler and make it disappear after painting

Magsie likes this.
  13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

There is so much material there for a crass joke...but it is the Sabbath! :D

Magsie, Astramax and Jord86 like this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The geezer was a chancer not a decorator, Easifill is not a wood filling product, it even says that on the container.

Magsie and blarblarblarblar like this.
  15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Still at your job title guessing game I see Astra

Some time ago you had me down as a school teacher

Know uv recently retired but wouldn’t consider any part time work as a PI

Great with the emojis though :D

Magsie likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not guessing Dave, you said once that you were sitting on a train writing that days menus.

Don't need a part time job Dave.....3 houses let out keep me nicely in profit thank you.;)

CGN likes this.
  17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

And we all know the standard of decorating in rental properties Astra ;) :D

Astramax likes this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sorry my mistake......'favourably located apartments' twixt sea and downs.

CGN likes this.
  19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Nice one. Enjoy :)

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Indeed Astra - spend a lot of time on trains as live in Essex but work in London plus traveling between work locations from time to time

Not sure how that makes me a ‘frustrated Sous Chef’ though ?

Been there, done that many years ago and guess what, still wouldn’t use Easifill on a wooden door !

Magsie likes this.