How best to support a large, heavy shower tray?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Magsie, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Magsie

Magsie New Member

We are having a large (1650 x 800) and heavy stone resin shower tray fitted on a concrete floor this week and I want to be able to ask the right questions and make an informed decision.

Is a leg pack better than a wooden plinth to raise the tray above the waste, or would you use both?

From what has been said so far I think the plan is for the shower tray to be placed on 4x4 wooden supports but not necessarily constructed into a plinth with supports going from side to side as well. I thought it should have a frame all the way round with 3 or 4 supports running side to side which should be attached to the frame. Which is correct?

I've read somewhere that the tray then needs to be mounted onto mortar and levelled. I think the plumber may have suggested a bed of silicone but I need to double check this. Is either correct, if not how should the shower tray be positioned and levelled on the legs/plinth?

One of the contractors we spoke to said the walls should be tanked, others said not. Is tanking a part of the building regs these days?

I'm also wondering how on earth they are going to lift the tray into position and manoeuvre it once there to get it level given how heavy it is. How have others done this?

2. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

Leg kit will be fine if fitted correctly. All the weight is evenly distributed then and the legs can be adjusted for any uneven floor. Once leveled to the correct height and waste pipe in position the tray should be siliconed to the the wall, tiled, then final layer of silicone.

Magsie likes this.
  3. Magsie

Magsie New Member

Thanks. Are the legs strong enough over time? I always feel they must give or collapse over time.

4. ecoplumbing

I've never had any issues. I think your plumber would definitely need a 2nd man to position the shower though!
    But to answer your original question, as long as the shower tray is evenly supported - leg kits, timber frame, bedded on sand/cement mix then they'll all as good as each other. I personally use the leg kits as it's per manufacturer's instructions and never had any issues

Magsie likes this.
  5. Magsie

Magsie New Member

Many thanks.

So a bed of silicone isn't a good idea?

What sort of frame would you construct, ie would just a few battens across the shower tray work or do you need a proper frame constructed round the sides with battens running side to side?

Also, any idea re tanking?

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If the manufacturer supplies a leg kit, I'd use it. If there is ever a failure, the manuf can't then blame the installed support.

Magsie and ecoplumbing like this.
  7. ecoplumbing

If you're raising the shower tray ( which I assume you are due to the waste trap) then it's either timber frame or leg kit. Timber frame is fine but I'd probably put silicone on top of each batton to fill any imperfections under the tray when setting it level. I know it's just personal preference but I can't understand the extra work involved building a timber frame when leg kits do the same job and are so much easier to fit and level.
    As regards to the tanking, yes it waterproofs the wall but if it's tiled and siliconed properly then water won't escape anyway.

Magsie likes this.
  8. Magsie

Magsie New Member

Many thanks

ecoplumbing likes this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Riser kits usually ok if installed properly as per instructions...as long as floor is solid.
    If making a riser, then I usually put 18mm ply on top of what ever frame work I make. Finish off with a upvc skirt.
    If fixing flat on the deck, then I use tile adhesive. Not a fan of sand and cement.

longboat and WillyEckerslike like this.
  10. Magsie

Magsie New Member

Thank you. Good point!

11. The manufacturer's riser kit is definitely the way forward. If you do decide to go down the route of building a wooden plinth, although I don't know why you would, then I think you'll find that the manufacturers' stipulate a bed of weak sand/cement mix. Anything else, particularly silicone, will invalidate their guarantee.

Magsie likes this.
  12. Magsie

Magsie New Member

Thanks. I'll check that out.