What glue to use on worktop mitre joints ?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by ajohn, Apr 14, 2019.

1. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Is ColorFill a decent adhesive to use? I notice that they say 1 tube per 600mm worktop but not sure if that means 2 joints per tube or just one.

They show it just being used near the top edge of the joint rather than all over. Seems a little odd.

I assume that the solvent can be used to clean up once it's fully cured but can it?

What is the best way to use it any advice etc?

John
    -

Chris ep700 likes this.
  2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Its applied top and bottom.See colorfil instructional video

3. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Thanks. :rolleyes: I didn't think of trying youtube. Seems it has a 10min open time which was one thing I wondered about and about 15hr to set completely. I was thinking of using exterior wood glue but the fresh stuff I have would go off rather quickly on chipboard.

One of the videos suggest biscuit jointing as well as the bolts which I could do as have the bits needed. Might help line things up accurately or might not ??

John
    -

4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Never used biscuits as havn't the kit, only have done a couple of joints but have aligned up ok using clamps,wooden block and mallet as per instructions on various videos etc.

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Personally i don't like Colorfill and never have done. For laminate/chipboard core tops i always use BB Complete from Bushboard, they do loads of different colors and it should be fairly easy to find one to match your top. BB Complete is actually an adhesive as well as color matched and it's 100% waterproof, as long as it's applied as to Bushboards instructions it carries a 3 year guarantee. Good old PVA still works fine as well.

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  6. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

:D I know that Colorfill matches, sink done in an alcoves some time ago and managed to ding an edge fitting it. I did wonder about it being an adhesive. I suspect it's some what technical nail varnish really. Their trade type video suggests using biscuits and colorfill on those. Think I'll do that and use waterproof PVA just thinned a bit on the biscuits. I used some of that type of PVA to fix paper and 2 metal strips type plasterboard edging and it held ok when it was plastered. ;) Better than the plaster expected.

And then bang out any uneven surface areas as usual. One joint is fine apart from a truly tint ding part way in so wont need much colorfill, a lot less than they show. The other one has a problem due to glue build up on the cutter by the look of it. Acted up on the last use of the jig. Think I'll have to recut it. Just checked the profiling bit I've used and lo glue clearly visible so have cleaned it off with meths. I bough some as I thought there was glue on my plunge saw blade, easier to see.

John
    -

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And a link...

https://www.bushboard.co.uk/bb-complete-accessories/bb-complete

8. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

It's odd that ScrewStation don't stock some slow setting wood glue but I suppose there aren't many furniture type carpenters about. Sometimes the last thing that sort of work needs is glue that sets that quickly. So given my ummm :D rapid work rate I've ordered some Titebond Extend. Wont get here until Wednesday at the earliest but sure I can find something to amuse myself with for a while.

John
    -

9. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

LOL Not sure why I wondered about using biscuits - that would be great fun doing a U with females in both sides. A decent glue is a better idea.

John
    -