Ring Video Doorbell

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bill007, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bill007

bill007 New Member

Dear All,

Can anyone advise me on this pls, i,ve spoken to a few electricians who have all told me different things. I need this transformer fitted into my consumer unit.. I have plenty of space, I think! In my cu.

What is the best way of installing this? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

you would need to remove two or three unused mcbs depending on size then cut buzzbar down to size to make it fit it will then clip over the rail behind the mcbs.
    it would then be wired from 5amp mcb to bottom of transformer.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Be easier if you are doing this yourself is fit an enclosure next to DB and just run an cable from a 6amp mcb if you want it inside I would get a sparkie in

4. bill007

bill007 New Member

5. bill007

bill007 New Member

Hiya, thanks for your reply. I’m shocked ring told me this is simply plug and play! I’m finding out this is to be a bit of a nightmare!

6. spirits are real 2016

7. spirits are real 2016

no they are not just plug and play you have been very badly advised please don't attempt this yourself you will be shocked if you hit the live parts where in the country are you.

8. bill007

bill007 New Member

Berkshire

9. bill007

bill007 New Member

Ok, can you point me to the one I would need from Screwfix pls? Is one not able to take a couple of the blank ones out and use one of the unused 6amp MCB to house within the consumer unit?

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I done one of these a few weeks ago and because the c/unit was a long distance away from the front door I fitted the supplied Din-rail transformer into a small enclosure and powered it from a convenient nearby socket.

11. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Last one I did, I fitted it to the CU in the hall and lucky for me the customer accepted a bit of low profile trunking.
    Who needs a £200 doorbell, just so you can talk to the Fedex guy when you are out.

12. bill007

bill007 New Member

Ah ok, my consumer unit is in the garage, about 1mtr away from the area where the bell will go.

13. bill007

bill007 New Member

Lol, we live near a primary school and last week someone managed to hit my bumper whilst my car was parked in our driveway. We’ve lived here for 12 years and over the past few months, we have noticed more and more cars being used to drop off children. So much about local primary schools for local people.

14. spirits are real 2016

yes you can take the spare ones out and use the spare 6amp for the transformer but it will involve cutting the buzzbar only a quilifed electrician should undertake.

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Fitted a couple of these myself, very often not ‘plug and play’ and poor support from the company

But, I’ve just upgraded to the Pro 2 and very happy with it

Apart from supplied type transformer , you can purchase a suitably rated plug in transformer, one of those ugly lumpy black plug types, nothing special, just supplying 24v and whatever ampage is specified

Easier way is SF 33991 enclosure
    Mount next to consumer unit

1.5mm T&E cable, connect live (brown) into existing lighting mcb, N to neutral bar and E to earth (with main switch off of course)

Run to transformer in enclosure and connect up L&N terminals 5&6 (polarity doesn’t matter), terminate earth in a single strip of choc block

Then flex from transformer terminals 1&4 to bell

Job done, enjoy :)

Better and safer than messing about with CU and possibly cutting buss bar

16. bill007

bill007 New Member

Thanks for this - you make it sound easy! I’ll give it a shot tomorrow.. I’ll go to Screwfix in the am and get the bits I need. For the bell wiring, and particular one you would suggest that would also be weather proof

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well it is relatively easy but it does mean taking the cover off your consumer unit and making some terminations, so you have to ask yourself if you feel confident to carry out this work ?

Obviously electricity shouldn’t be messed with and I can only advise from my keyboard and I am only diy (but have fitted 2 video bells using this same method)

Enclosure I’ve suggested is waterproof but as it’s going in your garage, this isn’t a consideration, just happens to be a box that will do the job and it’s under a £5

What type cable/flex was you considering to connect from transformer to bell ?

18. bill007

bill007 New Member

Not sure about which cable, was hoping our local store would be able to point me in the right direction. One of the electricians I spoke to said that a simple bell wire would do..

19. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

Lol, I tried to wire things I knew little about and without any competency or skills and last week I saw a house on fire. I thought nothing of that though and carried on regardless.

From my point of view it seems really clear that you have not got a clue what you are doing. *** get a spark in to do the job or send it back. Is your house detached? If it isn't would you be happy with your neighbour doing shoddy electrical work to their house...

20. spirits are real 2016

you would need 1.0 or 1.5mm t&e from consumer unit don't forget to sleeve the earth even tho the transformer doesn't need a earth I would still connect the earth in the consumer unit this is to protect the t&e from faults but don't forget this is a new circuit which will need testing and notifying to the local council as others have said it would be better to employ the services of a local electrician better safe then sorry and even with the power turned off there is still live wires inside the consumer unit.