SDS recommendation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by richhand, Apr 17, 2019.

1. richhand

richhand Member

For drilling precise holes can anyone recommend an SDS drill. I've generally used a standard hammer drill but it's no good on this job. My old SDS rotary hammer is all over the place.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Budget?

3. richhand

richhand Member

Around 100. Was looking at the Bosch GBH 2000 but not sure how minimal the run out will be

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  5. richhand

richhand Member

Looks great. The quick change chuck is certainly a bonus. I'm just wondering if the reduced no load speed compared to similar drills means that the hammer action is greater and therefore may increase run out..

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Increase run out?:confused:

7. richhand

richhand Member

Run out is when the drill bit wanders slightly often due to hammer action. It won't matter much of the time , only for the most precise drilling

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I too have one of the predecessors and agree that two chucks is a bonus. I have used mine to dril 127mm cores ! And as a mini breaker ... amongst other things.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mine has been well used,so useful having the two chucks,also got a larger elderly Bosch GBH 4-DFE breaker,which came with two QCC chucks.

10. richhand

richhand Member

I wouldn't normally consider this range but has anyone used the Titan SDS plus? The J rating is very high as are the reviews. Too heavy for many jobs I do but just out of interest.

11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

For drilling precise holes I find an ordinary non SDS drill, like a combi drill and using good quality sharp masonry bits, like the multi purpose Bosch set from our hosts, does a great accurate job.
    Also good for accurate pilot holes, before you use a more powerful drill

KIAB likes this.
  12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Also use top quality SDS drill bits.
    You can get some that have a little point on the end of bit, plus the quad blade type

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Heller Trijet SDS bit is a favourite of mine,as is DeWalt ordinary & the Extreme SDS Plus Drill, both from competitor.

Heat likes this.
  14. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I have a MacAlister which I'm very pleased with: the soft start is a big help in accuracy but the best tip is to wind the speed down and drill nice and slow.

I echo Heat's comment though and generally use the cordless combi and and a good bit

Heat likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same here, can do most jobs with my cordless combi, did use my mains sds drill first time this year for some holes for M12 thunderbolts & a couple of large holes for a gate post hinges.
    Another user of the Bosch multi construction bits recommended by Heat.

Heat likes this.
  16. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

17. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

I have the titan and it's a brilliant bit of kit. I've used it for all sorts and it's been spot on each time . Not wanting or lacking on power at all .

Broken up huge amounts of concrete with it, core drilled many 6" holes through stone and mixed tonnes of mortar with a paddle attachment over past few years and it's still going strong. Looks like a plasterers radio now though .

18. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

And tinnitus :D

19. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Nutritionist and a feminist .The worst kind of person haha :)

Vegan too??

20. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

I have the Titan, it is quite powerful, the chiselling/breaker side of things is very good and the hammer action when drilling is powerful. I've cut a few waste pipe holes with it and it did them with ease. It has taken a battering in the 3 years or so I've had it and it has even been partially submerged in muddy water while plugged in and it still lives! The downsides are that it is very heavy to use for any length of time, the pressure required before the hammer kicks in when chiselling can sometimes feel a little bit excessive. The chuck has started to stick on mine and also it is now difficult to position a chisel how you want it, without it moving. I think it needs a new chuck. Good value for 55 quid or whatever it cost.

Also have a Makita 18v DHR171z, it's kind of the opposite end of the scale and like a toy in comparison to the Titan, but it is lightweight and great for one handed or overhead use. I was looking at the DHR243z and that was more powerful, but it was also much heavier. Horses for courses and all that.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019