Changing Euro lock

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by teabreak, Apr 17, 2019.

1. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hi all, I finally decided to get around to replacing the standard locks on my French doors with high security ones, the master door is no problem but I cannot see the simplest way to access the screw on the slave door.
    It looks like the centre door bar will have to come off, but I don't want to end up with a box of screws and all the adjustments messed up can anyone tell me which screws I need to undo and which to leave well alone please!

Ta ever so!:)

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The lock is in main door not the slave door, don't main lock go into lock plate on slave door?

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

My doors have two locks one on each of slave and master and TB may well have the same arrangement.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't see any sign of a lock

[​IMG]

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes so does mine. The euro lock can be seen a few inches below the handle KAIB.
    Thank you both for your quick replies.

6. Pollowick

I can see the lock ... on te outside 100mm below teh handle, nice silver grey. It locks the up and down bolts in place rather than linking to the other door. The Master locks both bolts and to teh slave door.

teabreak likes this.
  7. Pollowick

When I had all my supplied, there are a total of NINE locking doors and I had them keyed alike so received 18 cut keys.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got Avocet ABS Anti Snap Euro Cylinder on doors here, keyed the same.

https://www.abs-secure.co.uk/

teabreak likes this.
  9. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

on picture door one where the lock is lower plate you will see two screws one above the other on the bottom of the lower plate in the middle silver the second screw with a big head holds the lock in place it's a long screw about two inches in length.

10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Tried these 3 all short are these the ones you mean?

Attached Files:

11. spirits are real 2016

yes and no the top one that's holding the strike plate on try taking that out as well it could be hidden by the strike plate.
    you are in the right area.

12. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

No nothing under plate, as you say the main door lock is held by a screw in line with the lock but this is the slave door which has the centre bar of the french doors added on to it.

13. spirits are real 2016

on picture three there looks like a giant white milk button above locks praise that off you might find that is hiding screw that holds two half's together.

teabreak likes this.
  14. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes you are right there is a screw behind unfortunatly there are three more covered by the locking strip assembly so chances are the whole thing has to come off the gain access, I hoped there was simpler way:(. Thanks for your assistance looks like I will have to whip out loads of screws;)

15. spirits are real 2016

sorry I'm better hands on then with advice i didn't want you feel like you've been framed.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If your doors are like mine, the frame on slave door lock side is wider than frame on main door

Don’t know what bits are called but there’s a stop that main door shuts onto and frame is a different profile to main door

You need to remove the metal lock keep then drawer pencil line from top of lock and bottom of lock across door face then continue across edge of frame (where you just removed metal plate) set square / combination square ideal for this

Hold new lock against these pencil lines and mark height of fixing screw. This will give you vertical height of fixing screw but, the screw is actually behind the plastic profile and is installed during manufacture (so it’s not visible)

Next you need to mark where across width of frame screw will be. Euro locks are all different lengths but not always 50/50 split

Can be different length on each side of door so fixing screw isn’t necessarily in centre of frame

Measure across width of main door to fixing screw (which will be visible) and transfer this measurement to slave door - along your horizontal pencil line

You now have height and width position of fixing screw for slave door

Now drill through plastic with hss drill bit to make a pilot hole, say 3mm. Then go up couple mm. Go slowly, your hopefully going to be bang on line and make contact with fixing screw

Shine torch through hole and check you’ve struck ‘gold’ !

Possibly may need to enlarge hole slightly up/down/ side to side if a tiny bit off

Drill hole just large enough to get screwdriver inside and grip screw, undo screw but you can leave screw in hole, much easier

Lock will now slide out, slide in new and tighten existing screw

Anyway, sounds drastic but if doors like mine and no visible fixing, that’s the way to go

Metal plate will cover hole you’ve drilled so all good :)

Hope that explanation is clear enough ? Hard to explain but not too difficult to carry out - good luck

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  17. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yup with you all the way, will give it a go making any future change easy if all else fails I think I have sussed it with help on here but better to avoid too much dismantling if possible.:)

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Great, hope all goes well. Pencil mark to frame any metal work you remove to help with realignment when putting back, plus photos

Accurate measurements and double check before drilling pilot hole. Vertical height is easy to determine, just the ‘split’ on the cylinder which determines the exact spot on width of frame where fixing screw will be hiding is a little trickier :cool:

Let the forum know how it goes - perfect job for a BH weekend !

teabreak likes this.
  19. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Got a pair on order could I find my size 45 45 in a matched pair on the net? Na! Local locksmith has ordered them for me, still I do feel happier using a local company even if it is full price!;)

KIAB likes this.
  20. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

All done, I tried the measuring up for a hole but it was smack in line with a pair of the keep bar fixing screws, so had to strip it all out.
    Masses of screws to undo 22 holding the door keep in place (no need to touch the adjusting plate ones thank goodness) marked everything in pencil to refit the parts afterwards.
    Next the centre UPVC bar comes off four screws under covers and more in the recesses behind the keep holes. It was well stuck against the seals and a little persuasion was needed to get it off (heart stopping moment) that gives access to an aluminium extrusion which has more screws and again needs a good tug to get it out from behind the seal.
    At last the lock screw is revealed! Lock change a doddle then.
    Put it all back despite the markings, the door bar about a mm too low to clear the sill! strip 22 screws out again loosen the inner screws persuade the bar with a club hammer to move up 1mm! Getting a bit P****d off now.:mad: Reassembled and hey presto it all works:)

Last edited: May 4, 2019