Cutting Alusplash

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by mackie, Mar 11, 2019.

1. mackie

mackie Member

Hi guys,

I am looking at installing Alusplash panels in the kitchen Part of this will involve some cuts which (as they will be visible) I want to get spot on. Looking on the Alusplash site it says to use a suitable blade (not really helpful). Their video shows a Plunge Saw being used, I don't have one the nearest I have is a Cordless 165mm, 20mm Bore. Can anyone recommend a blade for this? Any Advice?

And before any comments I don't want run the risk of cutting off any pinkies, they are invaluable in my day job as it is very hard to be a pen pusher if you cannot hold the pen in the first place.

2. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

tct blade, but rpm in here is crucial

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I fit loads of the stuff - soft as turds. Sharp, decent blade. Ultra slow and steady, low RPM if your saw has it. Set up a sacrificial board on trestles to work on. Light rub over the cuts with a decent fine file.

It is really soft and scratches really easily. As in don't slip with that file. The best bit is during cutting there are metal slivers everywhere, stuck both sides of the board, and if you move / slide the workpiece it gets scratched. After every cut dust of the work area.

Good luck ;-)

hairymaclary and mackie like this.
  4. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

Im looking at Splashbacks at the moment and alu is an option.

Whats the benefits over glass with this stuff?

5. metrokitchens

Cheap. Cut & fit on site. No delay for templating.

6. mackie

mackie Member

Fitted the first piece today, quiet pleased with the results. Just took it slow and steady (at my seed I would never be able to do it as a job, too slow). Couple of things I did to make it easier:

1) Made a frame between too trestles using 38 x 63 PAR covered in duct tape (I you look at the Alusplash video this is what they did). This supported the whole piece and made it easier to measure / mark / cut.
    2) Used the cardboard that came with the product between the frame and the work piece.
    3) Used my Cordless Circular Saw with a brand new 32 teeth blade. Set the blade to the shallowest setting I could to go through the Alusplash and the first surface of the cardboard.
    4) As you suggested Metro kept the area clean, between cuts brushed / vacuumed.
    5) I used the pre-formed corners they supply, was not confident enough to try the Router and bend method they show on their video.

As I say quiet pleased with the result, the rest of the pieces I have to do should be quicker as apart from one there are no tricky cuts to make. Even more of a bonus the missus is really happy with it.

Now, time for a shower and too take the dog for a walk, with the weather as it is today it might even involve having a cool beer in the Local Pub Garden........

Attached Files:

7. metrokitchens

Looking good. Well done.

CGN and mackie like this.
  8. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Is the upstand okay to be run behind the gas hob?

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

No, it's not unless it's a natural stone worktop and upstand..............................is it mackie ?

For DIY the Alusplash looks good. As a fitter though i would 100% expect to be called out for the cuts around the wall cabs either side of the hood. The cut outs for the sockets look 100% spot on though ;)

mackie likes this.
  10. gac1967

gac1967 Member

Looks good :)

mackie likes this.
  11. mackie

mackie Member

Quartz worktop and upstand

gac1967 likes this.
  12. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Ah, bullet proof then!

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Expansion ;)

14. metrokitchens

Looks like quartz ...
    I would usually fit the wall decor ends after the Alusplash.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

That Alusplash looks good stuff.

Just seen it on Wickes website and it seems a reasonable price.

16. metrokitchens

Your a small member.

17. mackie

mackie Member

One thing they don't advertise is that the 3m lengths come with a strip of edging as well. Dont know if the smaller sizes come with any.

18. metrokitchens

The 600x800 and 900x800 come with two 800 long strips in the box.

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Great info to know

20. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

I've read Alusplash is easy to cut but the finish is also important. What would be a recommended minimum tooth count on a circular saw blade to leave a good finish?