Xpelair Extractor won't turn off?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by joanne5, Apr 29, 2019.

1. joanne5

joanne5 New Member

Hi I bought the Xpelair C4HTS 4-inch with humidistat and timer.
    I had somebody install it, my old fan did not have humidstat but would come on when the light was on, and would turn off a few minutes after the light was off so I know the wiring set up is right.
    However, the new fan never turns off.
    I have set the timer to a few minutes on the new one, and turned the humidistat up to the highest setting to try and get it to turn off as the room is dry but it just stays on permanenetly unless it's switched off manually at the switch, which defeats the purpose of getting the timer humidistat one.
    I took a photo of the wiring, does it look correct?
    Thank you for reading my thread if you can offer any help I'd appreciate

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You may have a faulty unit. Wiring looks OK. Why not get installer to come back and check it over.

3. joanne5

joanne5 New Member

Thanks for checking I'm relieved to hear the wiring looks ok. I read online that some people had wired it up wrong because it only needs the power from the light switch, and not its own power otherwise it runs continulously.
    It would really suck if it turned out to just be faulty as I'd have to get another and have the old one removed and new one put in again, what a nuisance and waste of money :( I did read some reviews online from people who had the same issue so perhaps theres a quality control problem with that model. Of course it's fate that I would get a broken one always seems to happen to me

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I may have misunderstood your post. When you stated " switch off manually " ,are you referring to an isolation switch. As opposed to the light switch ? If so the fan may not be wired correctly and the switched line and permanent line may be reversed.

5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Cores not correctly identified.

6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

A well known regulation breach that will prevent the correct operation of equipment.
    Helpful as ever:)

7. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

its needs permanent live left side.
    neutral is in the middle.
    and timer live is on the right as per instructions.

8. joanne5

joanne5 New Member

Sorry what does that mean? Just that the wires are connected wrong?
    Thank you very much are the colours not correct? On the internet it says red permanent live, blue nutral, yellow switched live which is what appears to have been installed.

I have been testing it and it turns on when the light goes on, but it never turns off when the light goes off- it's supposed to go off after a few minutes. however it just stays on permanenetly unless I turn it off with the manual switch (which it just ouside the bathroom above the door).

9. joanne5

joanne5 New Member

For some reason I've had such bad luck with this thing. I was told I needed IP44 as it's above the shower so I bought one, then the company I booked cancelled the day of the appointment, re-booked and was a no show. They sent somebody from 2 hours away to do it, who took out the old one without turning off the electrics first, then told me the fan I'd purchased was wrong, and tried to sell me a non-humidstat one which looked second hand and had a lower ip rating out the back of his car, which I refused, I asked him to put the old one back which he didn't connect properly. He told me the job had been online for weeks and nobody wanted it and thats why the first 2 were no shows becauase it turned out the company I booked with just hires third party electricians from all over for the job.
    Then when I got somebody else in it needed new tubing on the inside, the vent on the outside disintergrated when touched so I had to buy the kit for that, and it had to be filled all aroound the openeing because the whole tile had been removed when the old one was put in rather than just a hole cut, which I did.
    Then had to have them come back for the actual install and now it's still wrong....gah!! Wish I had just let the old one now, it didn't work very well but at least it turned on and off when it was supposed to rather than wasting energy being on all the time.

10. spirits are real 2016

what does the yellow test as permanent live or only live when switch is on now when you pull the pull cord with the outside switch turned on and the fan not spinning does the fan spin when you pull cord or does it spin with pull switch off ie bathroom light off and you turn the outside switch on.

11. joanne5

joanne5 New Member

Sorry just testing it to check. Fan won't turn on at all if the outside switch is turned off. If the outside switch is turned on it will spin both when the light pull is off, as well as when the light pull is on and just run continuously, it never seems to turn off and will just run all day long. The only way to turn it off is switching off the ourside switch.

12. spirits are real 2016

it sounds like the outside switch needs a wire moved it sounds like the yellow is in the same terminal as the red but in the switch can you take a picture of the switch wiring to see if we can pin point more and give you a firm answer.

13. spirits are real 2016

have you also adjusted the timer link.

14. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

As with SAR, have you adjusted the timer? The two blue potentiomenters - one will be for humidity level and the other, over ride time. Check teh manual to fid out which is which.

Secondly, the two blue wires pass under a fairly large resistor - it is that size becasue it is sinking a lot of power and will get hot. It appears to have been pushed over rather than standing upright off the board - if you dont correcct it, then it may affect the wires or board.

15. joanne5

joanne5 New Member

Hi sorry I had to go to work, thank you for the replies. We adjusted the wire tucked under as suggested so it's not touching the other wires as suggested earlier thank you.
    We turned the timer down to the lowest so we can better see when/why it's turning off and we put the humidistat to the highest so that presumably it should only go on when we're showing and not running needlessly.
    However we've noticed that is is turning off 30 seconds after the bathroom light is turned ON instead of 30 seconds after it's turned OFF.
    We tested this with the main isolator switch and if the bathroom light is off, and we turn the fan switch on it starts running immediately. But if the bathroom light is ON and we switch the fan switch from off to on, then it DOESN'T spin.
    So it's running and stopping at the opposite times to when it should. It will be running for ages with the light off then as soon as you turn the light on within under a minute it slows down and stops. So I guess that's why it seemed to be running endlessly- because the light was off and all the while the lights off it keeps running and only when the light is turned on does it seem to stop.

16. joanne5

joanne5 New Member

Also, probably relavent to say the previous fan had a timer and had absolutely no issues with- it came on with the light, and turned off shortly after the light was turned off.

17. spirits are real 2016

can you take a photo of the outside switch wiring.

18. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

As Spirits says a photo might confirm that the live and switched live are not mixed up.

19. joanne5

joanne5 New Member

Hi sorry had to get a ladder, this is the fan switch outside:
    Red in L1 Blue in L com Yellow with red sleeve in L com
    The L2 connector is sealed up

Attached Files:

20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Can you show teh front of the switch and one of the rear full on - something does not sound/look right.