Asbestos bitumen? How to seal, PVA etc?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Daniel_77p, May 4, 2019.

1. Daniel_77p

Daniel_77p Member

Hello, we have some lovely asbestos tiles that we are planning to have taken up as they cracking. Underneath we have bitumen which also contains asbestos. One firm said, just take the tiles up and leave the bitumen as its fine as it is, if you are not going to drill it etc. Another firm said it needs removing or sealing? One said just cover with PVA, another said it needs arnitex, which aint as cheap as PVA. That said, I like my lungs.

I was thinking just to go the PVA route as we plan to lay laminate on top.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I used 2 pack floor leveller over similar. Powder and bottle of liquid to make it up and spread over. Nice clean surface which has carpet, laminate and tiles over now

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Just roll the underlay out over marley tiles. Better that than pulling them up.

4. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Just done similar. Put extra liquid dpm on top of bitu residue. 2 coats. Then used that arditex na over top. Seems to have worked ok. Wouldn't want to bond any kind of solid timber flooring to it though as could maybe peel?

goldenboy likes this.
  5. Jacopo

Jacopo Member

How do you recognise if bitumen contains asbestos? This is how mine looks

Attached Files:

6. Daniel_77p

Daniel_77p Member

You can't tell by looking at it. They used it in the past, no longer. The cut off, depending on what you read, 1980s to 1990s. You would need it tested if it's in an older house. Ours was built 1968 and tiles laid same time.

7. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

More risk grinding it off. Best overlaying it as discussed above and cheaper too.
    What finish are you planning for the floor?

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Work backwards on these kind of issues.

My advice would be be to choose the floor finish that makes life easiest. That would be a click LVT, laminate, or engineered.

If the floor is level just roll the underlay out and get on fitting.

If its uneven or needs raising and the tiles are fixed well or have already gone then Setcrete primer it and apply levelling. Then get on fitting the floor.

If you want to tile or use glue down vinyl it will be more involved as you will in essence be relying on the bond between tile and bitumen.

I do a fair few of these (in the workshop now getting ready for starting one tomorrow) and always try to steer customers towards Quickstep Livyn. It solves lots of problems.