Do large internal bifold doors need a bottom track?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dave The Developer, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Dave The Developer

Dave The Developer New Member

I need to fit an internal four panel bifold door set accoss an opening of about 2.5m.

A few companies offer designs without a bottom track. While this appeals I’m worried that they are going to appear flimsy and wobble if knocked into.

Has anyone got experience of fitting this size of door with or without bottom track.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Bottom track is a must, as you are likely to force the doors of hinges.

KIAB likes this.
  3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The life expectancy of a 4 panel bi-fold will be greatly reduced without a bottom track. Although i have never fitted one without a bottom track, i have replaced top hung 4 panel setups on numerous occasions. As AlvyChippy has already said, forcing the hinges is what causes the damage and ultimately will lead to the need to replace the lot. You are also correct in the assumption that they will appear flimsy and they defo will wobble.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  4. Dave The Developer

Dave The Developer New Member

Thanks very much for the advice. Glad to know my instincts were right.
    I've found a few companies online who do kits, any recommendations?

5. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Hafele does good kit, it'll cost you significantly more than average supplier, also fitting is very specific, but it is "Rolls Royce" of such ironmongery.

kitfit1 likes this.
  6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You can get tracks that are designed to sit in the floor with just a narrow 8-10mm slot. They look a lot better than one that mount on the floor.

7. Michael Gallagher

Michael Gallagher New Member

Hi. CAn you tell me where you saw bifold doors where they sit in the floor? I want to avoid any kind of step.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've fitted a set with no bottom track but I can't remember the name, client specced and I just fitted.

Michael Gallagher likes this.
  9. Michael Gallagher

Michael Gallagher New Member

I'm hoping to find one with a bottom track that I can embed into the floorboards so they are completely flush so no trip hazzard. However the floorboards are very old and lumpy, so I may have to go with top-hung ones.

10. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

nornally a bottom track takes the weight it is only 12mm thick so floor covering fit to each side but it all depends on door design do the 4 doors swing off each other or are they two pairs