I Lost my Tools in a DeWalt Repair Shop

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Hadventure, May 3, 2019.

1. Hadventure

Hadventure Member

I have an issue that I am looking for help with.

I have a number of DeWalt tools (still under warranty) and use them for work.

Recently I planned a vacation and returned four tools to a DeWalt approved repair centre to be fixed under warranty – they were minor but important repairs. Upon my return from holiday I have learned that the repair centre ‘Rochdale Re-tool’ has gone out of business and now I cannot contact them and do not have my tools. I cannot afford new tools and am absolutely gutted that this is affecting my work.

So far I have tried multiple times to contact the company – no answer. Tried to contact the company director via telephone call, email and even on facebook – no answer. I have also contacted DeWalt directly but have not yet heard back.

I am wondering where, if anywhere, I stand legally with this?

Is my contract with the repair centre – does this mean I have lost the tools?

Or as it is a DeWalt approved centre should they (the DeWalt company) have some responsibility.

I am going to check whether I have purchased them on credit card too – but that would be over a year ago?

Is there anything else I can try or anything that any one would suggest??? Thanks

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I thought In this case your tools are now in the hands of whoever is handling the closure and you need to chase them and apply to get your tools back. According company house they are still trading and several addresses you can go knocking on.. See here

3. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

You could visit and see if they have gone bankrupt. Might be a notice up mentioning who the administrators are.

Or find out where the directors live
    https://companycheck.co.uk/company/05116531/ROCHDALE-RE-TOOL-LIMITED/companies-house-data

There are web based companies that can be searched for people but they charge. You might find one that allows several searches for a one off charge.

Go talk to a solicitor - usually they will chat once for free. Citizens advice usually have one who calls in now and again.

John
    -

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

If administrators have been appointed, show them proof you own the tools and you should get them back. If no administrators have been appointed, best route is via the directors.

6. robertpstubbs

From the docs on the CH website it looks like it is a husband (69) and wife (63) company with a third employee.

The company doesn’t look very profitable, with the Directors being owed £180K.

I’d be surprised if the stock value of £92K was realistic.

PawelM likes this.
  7. robertpstubbs

There is a leasehold land/buildings property with an original cost of £10,943 and probably worth more now, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that was in the Directors’ names or they had security over it.

8. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

They may have decided to simply stop trading rather than get declared bankrupt. In that case the only option is probably chasing up the directors.

Should have looked here for that as I thought that details were kept there

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05116531/officers

Looks like they have moved where some one would need to go to inspect the books etc as well.

John
    -

9. Hadventure

Hadventure Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to head down there again and see if I can find who the administrators are. I don't remember their being a note last time - it was just closed and the neighbouring shops said they had 'shut up shop and gone' so I will check again!

If there is nothing how can I find the administrators?

I may also write to / visit the companies house listed address.

10. robertpstubbs

If a company ceases trading there won’t be administrators unless somebody has the money to pay them. For this to happen there need to be assets worth chasing.

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

This would have me fuming, if someone had my tools and I knew who they were I'd be hunting them down or kicking shop doors open

12. big all

big all Screwfix Select

try dewalt direct
    assuming you registered them on line they will have a list off your tools and may indeed give you new for old as its there agent that has failed to fulfill your contract
    thats assuming they are still an approved agent rather than just claiming to be

13. Hadventure

Hadventure Member

I've contacted DeWalt directly but am waiting to hear back from them. My tools are all registered online and I have the receipts.

I went up there again and there are no notices on the wall or anything so...

This is really frustrating and annoying!

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

How was the repair arranged? Was it through Dewalt? As in you rang up with a problem and they allocated a job number.

Presumably as you are saying they are in process of being repaired "under warranty"

15. Hadventure

Hadventure Member

DeWalt tell you to contact an approved repairer and have the repairs done through them. So I contacted them and dropped my tools off for the free repair. In that respect it wasn't arranged via DeWalt... They were just the closest centre.

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Can I just clarify.

Did you contact Dewalt prior to taking the tools to Rochdale Retool?

When you say you contacted "them" do you mean Dewalt or Rochdale Retool?

Or did you go direct to Rochdale Retool as you knew they were the nearest?

Basically did you call Dewalt and they told you to take them to Rochdale Retool?

17. Hadventure

Hadventure Member

Thanks for the input.
    Contacted DeWalt. They said choose a repair centre of their website. I went on their website. Selected the one closest too me.
    They did not tell me to go to that specific shop.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And....

19. Hadventure

Hadventure Member

Update:

So I have made progress contacting the director who informed me that:

The company liquidating the business is Leonard Curtis
    The collected stock is held by a company called Robson Kay

I have spoken to Robson Kay and they have kept repair tools aside - so I should be able to get my tools back!

I'll keep you posted.

Hans_25 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

There is no "should" about it. Those involved in the liquidation, Leonard Curtis and Robson Kay have a duty to ensure property owned by others is returned to them and not sold to cover the liabilities of the business. Make sure you have all communications with them recorded - either letter, email or phone recording.

KIAB likes this.