Replacing oven...help

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ban90, May 12, 2019.

1. Ban90

Ban90 New Member

Hi, I've ordered an oven and hob to replace existing oven. The hob needs hard wiring. The new oven is rated 2.4 kw and requires a 13 amp fuse according to the manufacture. I have a 32amp mcb in the consumer unit and a hardwire connection point in the kitchen. What would be the best was to connect this. A local electrician said to just he would just cut off the plug and wire both the oven and hob to a dual connection point and Another said he would spur a single socket from the connection point as this would keep the 13amp fuse to protect the apliance and the cooker switch will power both the hob and oven. What's your thoughts?

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The second opinion is the right one. Especially as the manufacturer SPECIFIES a 13A fuse for the oven.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  3. Ban90

Ban90 New Member

Thanks for confirming that

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Fuses do not protect appliances, they are sized for the cable or flex serving the appliance. Ovens are fixed loads so will never draw more than the design rating. No idea why the manufacturer would specify a 13A fuse?

KIAB likes this.
  5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I’m not having a go, or anything. But I’ve always wondered about that.
    It’s true that it’s a fixed load. Surely though, in a situation where a fault occurs, in the appliance, the current could exceed the expected fixed load current, the 13A fuse being the safety device?

6. Ban90

Ban90 New Member

I have ordered the oven and hob but have not received it yet. It's on the manufacture website that states 13 amp fuse required. Of both hob and hob were hardwired to the cooker circuit with 32 amp mcb would this be safe?

7. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

What current or power rating is the hob?

8. Ban90

Ban90 New Member

The hob is 6kw oven is 2.4

9. robertpstubbs

Any idea what size cable goes to the connection point?

6mm2 T+E would be about 13mm x 7mm.

4mm2 T+E would be about 11.5mm x 6.5mm.

10. robertpstubbs

6kw + 2.4kw = 8.4kw.

8.4kw / 240v = 35A, more than the 32A MCB, but this isn’t necessarily a problem.

11. It is far from a problem when diversity is applied.
    You are allowed up to a 15kw cooker on a 32a cooker circuit.Diversity is then taken into account.

12. robertpstubbs

What type of wall do you have?

You might be able to fit a dual box eg MK 887ZIC.

13. Ban90

Ban90 New Member

So should the oven have a 13amp fuse or connect both oven and hob to the connection unit

14. Ban90

Ban90 New Member

The wall of is on it for and dab to an external masonary wall

15. The manufacturer says fit a fuse so fit a fuse,if not fitted it would be get out clause for guarantee claim.
    Fit a dual box with cooker connection unit one side and a single socket the other.
    Use good quality like MK and not some of the cheap tat like LAP.

16. Ban90

Ban90 New Member

Brill, thanks. So just to clarify a single socket connected to cooker connection unit in a dual box. Would the socket just be a spur from the cooker connection unit

17. Yes.

18. Ban90

Ban90 New Member

Thanks

19. Ban90

Ban90 New Member

I'll double check that it looks like 6mm but will confirm that when I get home

20. Alster

Alster Member

The 13a fuse will help to protect the oven components if there’s a fault. For example if the element shorts out the fuse will blow rather than damage selector switch or clock relays etc.