Forum Support PMs

Discussion in 'Support' started by WillyEckerslike, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Hello Peter.
    Is there any way that PMs can be restored so that the members who wish to engage in trading insults with each other can do so without hijacking other threads?
    I appreciate that the facility was removed because of our regular troll(s) but is there a way that can restrict users' permission to PM until after a certain period, number of posts or even number of likes?
    Thoughts?

Hans_25, Heat, longboat and 1 other person like this.
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Doh! Have never engaged in trading insults............well the trading part anyway! :eek:

WillyEckerslike and CGN like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have asked, as have others several times,seem the request has fallen on deaf ears...

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Yes, we used PMs to talk privately, not to abuse.

They need to be restored or people will start to drift away.

@screwfix.peter please can you post why not?

Kind regards

KIAB, WillyEckerslike and longboat like this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Screwfix Peter is an A I machine programmed to filter certain words..................well that what I think........for what it's worth! :confused:

6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Can you type out a list of these filtered words so we know which ones not to use?

KIAB and Astramax like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I'll send you a list via a PM................................:p

KIAB, Heat and longboat like this.
  8. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi

I stopped the PM facility as this was being abused by a troll and also be established members of the Screwfix Community. I have no immediate plans to reinstate this messaging service.

Peter

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Can't you set some sort of a limit, so if you just join you don't get pm's till you have posted, say 30 posts? anyone who has made that many posts should be considered sensible enough not to spam etc.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That works pefectly on other forums I use.

longboat and Heat like this.
  12. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Exactly, seems like we are being treated like children here, but in SFP's defence, some users have been acting like children.

longboat, koolpc, Heat and 1 other person like this.
  13. WillyEckerslike

The trouble is a troll can easily knock out 30 posts in an evening (if SFP is otherwise engaged) and then they're good to go. That's why I also wondered if it could be tied to likes or some other more restrictive threshold.

14. WillyEckerslike

Thank you for responding to my query anyway.

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The mods here just need to do the same thing with new members, ie the first 30 posts have to be approved before they appear on the forum. It would mean someone would have to be around most of the time do approve the posts but what with mobile devices these days, hardly a big deal. Plus it would mean the spammers wouldn't even bother trying to post stuff, it would simply be binned before appearing on the forum. I really just don't know why the mods here can't implement this really simple solution. The only trade off is that jo public might not get any answer to their question straight away but hey, I don't see it's a big deal if they have to wait half an hour or so.

WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Which could be solve by a couple of floating mods, with restricted powers,basically able to delete spam to a holding area for SFP to deal with later.

longboat, Hans_25 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  17. Not a good idea to have a forum user as a moderator,the moderators should be Screwfix employees only, who are unbiased,although the ones at the moment lean to the left with their views.

WillyEckerslike, Astramax and Heat like this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not true, Screwfix can't or won't control the Troll who had used the PM facility to get directly to forum members, KIAB was one who received unwanted abuse as was myself but I didn't mind as I'm lonely!:rolleyes:

Heat, longboat and KIAB like this.
  19. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

To be fair, there were one or two members who did abuse the facility. I had a tirade of abuse (as did others) from Lee Sparky Kent for one. And yes, I did respond so was also guilty (as I believe others did), for which I did apologize.

@screwfix.peter could it be restored and only those who abuse it be denied? I am not sure what would be involved in doing that.

kind regards

Astramax likes this.
  20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Just give pm activation to long term members. Simples

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.