increasing fllor joists strengh for longer span

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Sean Nash, May 13, 2019.

1. Sean Nash

Sean Nash New Member

Hi,
    I have an old property that has 6x2 floor joists on 16 inch centres. The complete span of the house is 21ft. There is a steel beam in the centre of the room that I want to remove and relocate further back at around 15ft.
    So the longest unsupported span would be 15ft and then the rest would be 6 ft.

Now I know i should be going deeper and wider with my joists but I don't want to affect the ceiling height below or raise the floor above.
    Could I add more 6x2 joists to spread the load?

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

In theory yes, but how many and at what spacing would need a structural calculation as normal span tables don't cater for spacings of less than 400mm. The defection of the joists would probably be the limiting factor more so than their structural strength.

3. Sean Nash

Sean Nash New Member

Thanks, yeah thats what I cant find. I guess if I paced them beside the existing joists it would in effect create a 6x4 and I could work my load bearing from that

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easi joists may be another option.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Another thought ... what size is te steel? and any reason why it cannot be lifted and installed IN the ceiling with joists notched into it?

Again, subject to SE approval?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just thought the same.:)

8. Sean Nash

Sean Nash New Member

The building has a preservation order on it and as such I can't alter the existing beams. Plus the nearest point to Instsll a beam to get the desired look is 15ft (if that makes sense)

9. Sean Nash

Sean Nash New Member

Are they stronger than their equivalently sized completely timber joists

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. Using rule of thumb calculations the 6x2 joists you have at the moment are undersized.I think a calculation by a structural engineer is required to calculate new joist sizes for the job you want to carry out.

12. Sean Nash

Sean Nash New Member

13. Sean Nash

Sean Nash New Member

Yeah I noticed that alright, I'll be making sure the SE takes a look but I want to be armed with some info

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Quite a few firms around who do metal web joists, I'm a bit out of touch with them now.
    Think around 196mm is standard starting depth for them,but do check, Deleted member 11267 has already mentioned your joists are under sized for exsisting span.

http://www.huwsgray.co.uk/shop/building-materials/timber/easi-joist.html

http://www.haldane-fisher.com/timber/engineered/posi-joists/

http://www.donaldsontimberengineering.co.uk/timber-engineering-open-web-joists.php

https://www.wolfsystem.co.uk/find-a-manufacturer.aspx

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  15. I was actually talking about the span you have at the moment,not when you move the rsj,a ten and a half foot span should be bigger than 6x2.

16. Sean Nash

Sean Nash New Member

Yep, they would only really be capable of a 9ft span. It's part of the reason I'm allowed to add extra joists as it's underspeccified for the current span

17. Sean Nash

Sean Nash New Member

From initial calculations I'm not gaining anything by using them. They still specify nealry 9 inches for the posi joists

18. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

The joists at present appear to be OK but I don't think you'll do it with extra joists if you move the beam: you'll be looking at nearly solid wood.

An additional steel set into the floor depth at the middle of the 15 foot is probably the best option.

I assume you want the beam you're moving where it goes for aesthetcs?

19. Sean Nash

Sean Nash New Member

Correct. Unfortunately I can't set a steel into the floor. I might just have to add 8 inch joists and drop the ceiling height.

20. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Change the floorboards for screwed and glued plywood, a structural engineer can confirm how much the sag will be reduced by, it may well be enough.