Would you be happy with this work?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Daniel_77p, May 9, 2019.

1. Daniel_77p

Daniel_77p Member

Here you go.

Attached Files:

2. That is one absolute mess and needs taking apart and redoing.Look at all that copper showing at the top of the mcb's and main switch and there looks to be bare copper from neutrals in the rats nest he has left.

How could anyone who done that be called an electrician or call themselves an electrician.

If he has bought his way onto one of the scam providers report him and get them round to see that mess,then hopefully they will cancel his membership.

You need someone to check everything he has done as he is an out and out cowboy.

3. Daniel_77p

Daniel_77p Member

Anyone else want to throw their opinion in. I got flak for being annoyed and calling the guy a cowboy before...

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

On a split board it is usual to distribute the circuits for lights and sockets between the two sides. Eg downstairs lights and upstairs sockets on one side.

Whoever’s done this one doesn’t seem to follow this method.

5. Daniel_77p

Daniel_77p Member

But is it safe?

6. you should not have got flak because you were one hundred percent correct.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

For goodness sake, Deleted member 11267, your such an alarmist. Yes, its untidy, a lot of consumer units are. Its because everyone is not as perfect as you and doesn't necessarily do a tidy or professional job like you. Does that mean its unsafe? Does that mean it needs to be redone? You can ask the electrician who did it to make it neater, tidier, get the excess bare copper showing above the mcbs and switches improved but ultimately its a rough job by a not very good electrician. Some electricians are good, some are not, its life. It doesn't mean you have to rant and rave and call everyone a cowboy just because it doesn't meet your standards. You really need to get a grip on life and understand that you will get the best of the best and the worst of the worst and all that goes inbetween. Its true of ANY profession and the holier than thou ranting from the likes of you is typical of electricians, they all think they are better than everyone else! You really need to calm down, take a look at yourself and stop accusing everyone else of being a cowboy!!! If you are capable of being perfect think yourself lucky. Not everyone has the skills to be perfect, that doesn't make them bad!!!

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I would love to see you go to that job Deleted member 11267 and see you 'put it all right' and post a picture. I'd bet I could rip it apart you smug ****

9. We have seen photos of the kind of lash up you carry out,so to you that is probably neat.

Draetsir likes this.
  10. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

That's messy for sure. If I was paying a spark I'd expect it to be neater.

The main issue I can see is the exposed copper hanging out of the tops of the mcbs. There's no need for this and is coyboy-esc

Also the two rings on the 32a's seem to have their wires stuffed in in such a way that they have frayed. I'd be uncertain they were making a proper connection on all strands.

It's not going to blow up but could do with a tidy for sure.

You pay a spark to do a neat job and not a lash up. Get him back in to tidy it up.

Any electrician that defends that is probably just trying to justify their own poor quality work.

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Going by the type of wiring it prob has borrowed neutral, looks like all sockets on one side, not the best of jobs to be fair

12. Sparkielev

Was it £500 for for the job, cheap BG board, looks like it took him 20min to fit

13. There also seems to be a partially bare neutral above the three middle mcb's, if you enlarge the photo it can be seen,seems to have part of the insulation stripped.

14. Sparkielev

Can't see any grommet strip at the back, cables twisted together, looks he just fixed the board up and put cables straight in, think I was being generous when I said it took him 20mins

Dam0n likes this.
  15. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Strangely I was expecting it to be far worse, not neat and not a very good job but at least everything seems connected in, wonder how big the hole is where the tails come in and if any sort of grommet has been used there, none on the back entry.

What I take from that picture is its a BG board, straight from Screwfix for £60 or so, the original cables haven't even been re-terminated, looks like its the original ends twisted together with pliers, not the best for connecting into MCB's. Also have the RCD's been tested as well as everything else, I ask because I've tried a few BG boards and had to swap the RCD's on several units because they have failed the testing, its the reason I won't fit BG boards now.

16. Sparkielev

Everything looks like it has been done lazily, would of taken another half an hour to make it look presentable, it sad really not showing any pride in his work, chances are most of his work is carp

17. The board it is mounted on only goes halfway down the consumer unit.The other half must be about an inch out from the wall,I wonder if there are any fixings in the bottom half.

18. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Funny how we've never seen any photos of your work. Care to share? or too modest?

19. Do not have any as I do not require them.

20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

In case that was aimed at me, nobody is defending that work. I am basically sick of Deleted member 11267 branding everyone a cowboy for anything and everything. I would love to see examples of his work to see how brilliant he is. He must be the neatest electrician on earth based on his derogatory comments about everyone else. Any photograph posted on an open forum is going to get nit-picking to the nth degree, its just how it works. Yes, that is a rubbish and untidy job and messy work does not bode confidence. Maybe he is new to the game, maybe he is not very good anyway. Unless someone pulls him up and takes him to one side maybe he doesn't even understand how rubbish it is and how it should be done. Believe me I see more work to his standard out there than the other extreme. Deleted member 11267 is living in his own dream world.

Dam0n likes this.