Working for developer types

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, May 15, 2019.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Just had a conversation with someone about doing work upgrading heaters in houses and apartments, don't know who they are but they are a relatively new company and they are the sort that claim to have loads of clients and tender to all their electric and gas needs etc, you know the sort, glossy website etc.

He reckons he has a contract to upgrade loads of heaters all over the country and on the face of it the money doesn't seem too bad if everything goes according to plan, but I take it this is the sort of thing where you chase your tail up and down the country all day trying to get access to the houses or waiting around all day for stuff?

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

And?

3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Your apprentice will be happy

4. peter palmer

And does it sound like the type of job you hear about where it sounds brilliant in theory but you just end up sat in the van all day waiting for the client to get out of bed or come back from bingo?

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

To be fair I don't mind that type of work, gets me out of the area and can be better paid if no one is home they get billed anyway

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

All depends, 50/50. There’s always carrot dangling, however, some offers do come good. Be upfront and do a few ‘test jobs’ and don’t get in too deep before receiving payment.

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Now that the 'kyle' show has been given the chop, they most likely have no reason to wake up on a morn, never mind get out of bed.

Sparkielev likes this.
  8. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Done a few, OK for first 6 months, then slowly degrades, in the end final bill not paid. However in the main made enough at start to cover loss at end.

9. peter palmer

Think we will swerve this one, he was going to pay £250 but that included VAT I've found out but by the time you have paid fuel and accommodation there wouldn't be much left to make it worth while. How many houses do you think you could do a day installing storage heaters, connection points are already there apparently. I'm guessing 2 people 2 houses a day, those things weigh a tonne.

You could probably do 2 houses a day by yourself but that sounds too much like hard work to me, its boring on your own and I wouldn't stay the week in a travelodge on my own.

10. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Bricks up flights of stairs are a killer but if you young and fit..maybe not a problem.
    Who is responsible for disposal.
    How old are heaters....and any chance of asbestos....who is responsible.
    A tightly worded contract will cover you.
    RS