Now what will the 'Sub Species' do?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Astramax, May 15, 2019.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Jeremy Kyle show scrapped........................:):):D:D:p:p;);) whobluddyray!!!

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I really don't know why everyone is suddenly outraged about this - questions and public hand wringing in parliament. No-one was compelled to be on it or watch it. I didn't like it so I didn't watch it. It's very simple really.

3. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

It was akin to a Victorian freak-show.

Muzungu and Astramax like this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Someone said in another post several weeks ago that Bognor was the holding area for the Jeremy Kyle Show..............went to take a look..... and it's true!

5. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

It was a national forum designed to take advantage of and to mock the afflicted. I have concerns for the viewers of this spectacle, they assist by lending their patronage. How are their minds and values working?

Heat, retiredsparks and Muzungu like this.
  7. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Pretty much spot on, it was in my opinion vile and profoundly dispiriting. I understand the argument that no one forced them to go on and no one forces people to watch, but that is a slippery slope. Paying the most vulnerable people in society to humiliate themselves in front of a baying crowd shines a pretty revolting light on the thinking of the audience. I suppose watching the chaotic lives of those on the edges of society makes some feel good about themselves, not something in my opinion to be proud of.

8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Why anyone would want to watch this show.........or any other soap and reality show.......is quite beyond me.
    It also infuriates me when Soap Opera questions are asked as part of 'General Knowledge' . Even on such programmes as Mastermind and University Challenge.

Altho I do understand that there is a certain section of the community who are elderly and lonely and may find shows like Corri helpful.
    RS

dinkydo, Mr Nice 2 and Heat like this.
  9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Opiates for the masses?

retiredsparks likes this.
  10. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Why was the any need to have more than one Kyle show? Weren’t all the further episodes just slight variations on one limited theme?

retiredsparks, gadget man and Heat like this.
  11. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I don't like soaps and reality shows either, I have an interesting enough life without nosing into other people's affairs real or imaginary. TV's object is to maximise audience viewing figures so I suppose if enough people want to spend hours of their lives watching other people's affairs, the TV companies are doing right churning out such programmes.

If someone is mentally fragile and they apply to go on JK type shows, there needs to be some kind of filter system to keep them from doing so, although I can't offer suggestions on how to do it

Heat likes this.
  12. retiredsparks

[QUOTE="Harry Stottle, post: 1709149, member: 14526".......

If someone is mentally fragile and they apply to go on JK type shows, there needs to be some kind of filter system to keep them from doing so, although I can't offer suggestions on how to do it[/QUOTE]

Harry, an excellent "filter system"... would be an 'education'. It even worked for me...so it must be good.
    Although formally trained I consider myself an autodidact.
    I also await with gleeful anticipation the regular untermenschen to admonish me for using 'long words' when grunts would have sufficed.
    :)
    RS

dinkydo likes this.
  13. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Whilst not an admonishment I would have to say in my opinion "untermenschen" in this context is more of a simple insult rather than an accurate description due to its historical racial undertones. Maybe the "hoi polloi" or perhaps even the "Lumpenproletariat", the latter again being more of an insult than an accurate description, although would be appropriate in terms of the Jeremy Kyle show participants and possibly the audience.

14. retiredsparks

Etymology
    Although usually incorrectly considered to have been coined by the Nazis, the term "under man" was first used by American author and Klansman Lothrop Stoddard in the title of his 1922 book The Revolt Against Civilization: The Menace of the Under-man.[8] Stoddard uses the term for those he considers unable to function in civilisation, which he generally (but not entirely) attributes on racial grounds. It was later adopted by the Nazis from that book's German version Der Kulturumsturz: Die Drohung des Untermenschen (1925).[9]

Unfortunately thousands of words can cause offence these days. Words such as Mr and mrs..him, her ..and spokesman.
    Luckily no one has ever died from being offended... altho it might be contagious.

There are bound to be some words..in some countries which may/may not cause 'offence' or are frowned upon in certain polite social circles and in others are used freely.
    :)
    RS

15. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Sorry can't spell at the best however j k makes more money than me so who's the winner

16. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Education isn't much good if your IQ is below about 83, the US Army have been doing a lot of IQ measurements and found you need an IQ of at least 83 if you are to do anything productive so they don't let in people with a 'low' IQ.

17. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I would say that many hundreds of thousands, if not millions, have died from being categorised as "untermenschen"; not to trivialise it but they were pretty offended I would suggest. The Nazi's adolescent philosophy borrowed from many sources, untermenschen being a useful, to them, expansion of the lunatic philosophy of Nietsche and his "ubermensch". They came up with very little original themselves other than industrialised mass murder.

I see your etymology was pasted from the first paragraph of Wikipedia the majority of which concerns the use of the term by the Nazis to validate the mistreatment of those they described as untermenschen.

18. retiredsparks

So, are we allowed to us the word 'Marxism'...as it is basically linked to the deaths of 100 Million people.
    An 'obvious' cut and paste is perfect to cut down on typing.
    RS

Bollerks and Hans_25 like this.
  19. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

As I understand it, the term "untermenschen" is referring to a type of people and is a derogatory term for a group of people. Where as "Marxism" is referring to an ideology.

20. retiredsparks

NietZsche ?
    It certainly looks like you have never studied his philosophy or lifes ending.
    Rs