Smell in new bathroom

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by 46upperbridge, May 16, 2019.

1. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Think you may have helped me solve a similar problem. Moved in to new house earlier in year and have 2 showers upstairs 1 getting bad smell now and again other is fine. Due to this thread had a look and the one that smells sure enough has a part missing in the trap looks like it’s a one way water goes through but seals if no water going through creating a seal. Can I buy this part seperate or will I need a whole new trap? Anyone know the make and or supplier of this type of trap. Pic of missing part attached

Attached Files:

2. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Update - looks like its WIRQUN

3. 46upperbridge

46upperbridge New Member

Plumber Been out put missing part on can any of you experts tell me does this chrome dip tube part just sit inside the catch cup with rubber seal on top of the lip in the waste hole
    What I mean is it doesn’t lock or suck into place so it cannot move ?? It’s basically just sitting on top

Attached Files:

4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Ah! I see it all now. The chrome top is irrelevant.
    The rubber seal part must go tight down in.
    It seals in the first, larger diameter part I think.
    Water goes down the open tube and up the sides to out, but the rubber seal prevents sewer gases.

46upperbridge likes this.
  5. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

The white wast pipe (tube) will sit in bottom in the water that collects there, hence creating a seal. Your right the silver cap does nothing but appears attached to the rest so all in one piece.

6. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

If the silver cap does come off then yes it is not needed as it will be concealed by the flat piece of white plastic in picture 3

7. 46upperbridge

46upperbridge New Member

Hi Heat so
    Hi Kas thanks for that the silver cap is attatched so cannot be removed
    If the drain is now sealed and no odours can get up how does the water in the shower drain away as the 4 little holes on top of the silver cap are above the shower tray hieght (see photo)

Attached Files:

8. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

There should still be a gap around and under the silver cap, water goes down through white tube and then up outer ring to waste pipe.

Heat and 46upperbridge like this.
  9. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

There will be no smells as there is a “water” trap at bottom of the unit, that’s what the white pipe is for, it sits in a inch of water or so.

Heat likes this.
  10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

The chrome part is usually removable. It is a separate part, so unless it was heat welded or solvent welded, it will just be a stainless steel bolt from underneath the cup part.

11. 46upperbridge

46upperbridge New Member

Thanks Kas228 we have had this foul smell issue since day one of the shower being installed (4 weeks now) hopefully this will remedy the problem how long do you think it will take for the chemical foul smell that’s in the bathroom to remove itself ?
    Thank you kindly

12. 46upperbridge

46upperbridge New Member

That’s right Kas the catch cup sits on about an inch of water the catch cup has water in it too and dip tube is inside the catch cup with the rubber seal blocking the drain
    Is that correct ??
    Really grateful for your help and advice
    Kind regards Wendy

13. 46upperbridge

46upperbridge New Member

It’s hidden anyway so won’t muck about with it

14. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Just to refer to my earlier point, you may not have had nasty smells coming into your bathroom for the last 15 years as the traps on the previous appliances have been working well, but I'll say it again, your drains shouldn't smell nasty. They're certainly not going to "smell of roses", but equally, they shouldn't smell too bad. If they do, there's something wrong.

When I remove my own manhole cover, the smell I get is little worse than that from the inside of my washing machine. It certainly doesn't smell of poo or pee as that is all being cleared away into the main sewer in the street. But maybe other folks just have a different sense of smell from mine.

I'm glad you've finally got the shower trap sorted out in any event.

15. 46upperbridge

46upperbridge New Member

Hi joe really appreciated your help and advice mate so many helpful people on here
    Yes it’s just the fact that we only had this issue after forking out around £6000 only 4 weeks ago and it was not pleasant to go inyo the bathroom as the smell was so pongy and it had not been there the past 15 years the previous traps were obviously doing what they were supposed to do

16. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Any lingering smell should hopefully disappear once it’s all back in place correctly. Leave a window open if you have one and all will be good in no time as long as trap is doing it’s job properly !

17. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

Glad you've finally sorted the problem, that chemical smell is probably sulphur dioxide, plenty of ventilation will soon clear it

18. 46upperbridge

46upperbridge New Member

Hi eco Thank you for all your help and advice

ecoplumbing likes this.
  19. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

20. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Yeah thanks rang around some local plumbers merchants who didn’t have any but plumbers mate in Eastbourne did. Wife picked one up this morning for £6.94. Fitted and hopefully no more smells. Thanks again, makes you wonder where the original went!!!