Sugar Soap a Stippled Ceiling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by TheCrow, May 15, 2019.

1. TheCrow

TheCrow New Member

Hello there

Is anyone able to offer any advice on how to sugar soap a stippled ceiling. The ceiling itself covers a an L-shaped lounge, kitchen and diner and is not particularly dirty, just discoloured with age, but given that I had sugar soaped the walls ready for painting I thought I'd do the ceiling for completeness.

I was thinking of using a roller to apply the sugar soap but would be unable to wipe it as it's very gritty and sharp.

Any ideas, or is it one of those jobs that just cannot be done?

Thank you for taking the time to read.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easier to overboard with 9.5mm plasterboard & skim.:)

TheCrow likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Soft bristle broom and bucket of sugar soap solution will do the job - easy peasy :)

May be wise to wear safety goggles / swimming goggles / rubber gloves / as know sug soap can be an irritant to sensitive skin so droplets in the eyeball..... probably not recommended :eek:

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    TheCrow likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Protect your eyes!...................forget sugar soap if it's not particularly dirty use Flash diluted in hot water plus safer on the eye balls.. ;)

TheCrow likes this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As my post above. :rolleyes:

Safety / swimming goggles and gloves

Very hot on PPE I am, don’t take chances

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Any cleaner will do with warm water. Sugar soap is a naff product... It's a chemical cleaner that don't leave soap behind so paint sticks, but a second wipe over with clean water dose the same, plus I've never been impressed with it vs off the shelf supermarket cleaners

TheCrow likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You added that to your post after my posting..................sneaky Mr Easy Peasy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...then again I was always on the ball with PPE and risk assessment associated with my trade.

KIAB and TheCrow like this.
  8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

:oops:

Ha ha yep I did edit as an afterthought, look at the times, both at 7.12 ..... we must have been thinking of each other :oops:

I have a nightmare at work from time to time with kitchen porters not wearing full PPE whilst cleaning ovens with some pretty nasty, heavy duty corrosive chemicals

Even though their safety record cards are up to date and COSHH training completed and a cupboard full of PPE, some just think they’re impervious to splashing and breathing in dangerous chemicals - bluddy madness followed by a written warning in most cases

9. TheCrow

TheCrow New Member

Great idea, thanks for that.

10. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

If it's an artex ceiling I suspect you may find that you will wreck it unless well covered in paint already and maybe even then. May be problems with paper as well - best way to strip it is with water, sugar soap would probably help.

I'd say why bother having emulsioned a ceiling a number of times. Good brush over to remove dust etc and then do it. 2 coats are normally needed how ever it's done or try and put it on thickly and then find down to odd areas it needs another anyway. Best concentrate on keeping both coats even ;) or find you need a 3rd.

Sugar soap is for woodwork but much better to sand it, ideally wet as it prevents the paper from clogging. It's what wet and dry is for.

John
    -

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

OVERBOARD IT.:)

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It’s a stippled ceiling that needs a fresh lick of paint, partially kitchen
    area so may have a little greasy film due to cooking- that’s it - should be simple

What’s all that about stripping ceiling and sanding with wet and dry paper ?

Talk about over complicating a simple task ..... will you be supplying a quote to strip and sand ceiling perhaps when all it needs is a wipe over and lash on the emulsion

Or ...... what have I missed ? o_O

13. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Something silly - what sugar soap is often used for - paintwork, mentioning that sanding is more effective and better still if wet.

John
    -

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Why though ?

All the op wants to do is give it a fresh lick of paint

Yeah, stipple finish may not be everyone’s personal favourite but all it needs (assuming ceiling is in ok condition) is a wipe over (kitchen area, possible greasy film on ceiling) and 1/2 coats of emulsion

All this talk of overboarding / stripping ceiling (not ur post Kiab) / is like taking a sledgehammer to crack a walnut

Imagine a homeowner getting a decorator round to quote on painting this ceiling and the geezer starts by saying ...... ‘needs overboarding or stripping back as can’t simply be prepped and painted’

Your either gonna show the bloke the door pronto fashion or get ready to be shafted

Sorry guys but that’s how this advice seems to me

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No worries mate, works well for me, may drip a bit but depending on what’s on the floor, can always cover with dust sheets and/or polythene to protect carpets if in place

Always use a dry, clean soft broom to brush down ceilings prior to painting. Generally ceilings don’t need washing down (unless kitchen or smokers in house ) but brush down to remove dust makes sense

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

..................should of finished the whole house by now!:cool:

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stippled finish is an Artex or Artex like material pattern not a textured paper, so washing over a pre painted kitchen ceiling with sugar soap would be recommended to remove associated cooking contaminates such as cooking fats would be best advised and rinsing off prior to painting.