Best handsaw under..

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by enc, May 20, 2019.

1. enc

enc Active Member

.. £10 from screwfix???
    For occasional use.

Cheers

2. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

The venom saw from Wickes

3. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

S&J predator was 2 for £10 b&q

Jord86 likes this.
  4. Beeero

Beeero Active Member

Bahco 244 is the best in the business

5. enc

enc Active Member

6. pateksan

pateksan Member

Love the way the first two responses are recommendations of wickes and b&q products. Might as well recommend batteries to go with the handsaw.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

They’re all good while they’re sharp!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I use the Bahco Ergo saw with changable blades,why because it's the only saw available with a left handle option.:)

10. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

With saws being so cheap, does anyone still set and sharpen them?

11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Bahco 244 is a brilliant saw for general work, but also consider the better version Bahco Barracuda saw.
    Depending on range of uses, you might want a finer tooth saw. I also use a S&J saw which is excellent. Strangely it comes with a built in laser??? :p

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I either use a Bahco 244 or an Irwin Jack 880 universal depending on which one I see first when I need a new saw.
    Some years ago I worked for a company that paid for your saws to go for resharpening but the hardpoint saws were sharper so I stopped bothering.

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

That is what happened with me probably well over 20 years ago.
    Had a Disston saw - the old style wooden handled heavy blade Canadian saw, but discovered the Bahco hard point saws were lethal sharp and lasted well, plus were a throw away price.

14. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If you were a plasterer you would consider a Disston saw a throw away price.

Heat likes this.
  15. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I actually did kind of “throw the Disston saw away”.
    I give it to a neighbour, who would sometimes sell stuff. Regretting that now. I see they are worth a lot of money.

16. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've got one of those. It was cheaper than one without a lazer LOL.

Heat likes this.
  17. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

It really is quite sad that we all see saws as disposable, but that's the truth of it.

18. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I hate that we throw away things, but some items are better disposable - saws, Stanley knife and other blades, shaving blades, etc. :)
    Truth is we can’t bring a used saw back to be as good as a factory produced hard point saw

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stanley blades I resharpen them at least a dozen times on my wet grinder before ditching them.:)

dinkydo and Heat like this.
  20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

My dad used to resharpen Stanley knife blades but I find lugging a wet sharpener around with me isn't that practical (and it makes every thing else in my pocket go soggy).