Best first van?? ADVICE

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by HTL Joinery, May 22, 2019.

1. HTL Joinery

HTL Joinery New Member

Hi all, I’m currently doing my driving lessons to get a van and start my own Joinery company up. Just looking for advice or any ideas on which van to get, mainly cheapest running costs like insurance for example. If anyone could help that would be appreciated, thank you.

2. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Depends on size, but the Berlingo was a great van, not to expensive. The Caddy was a decent van but buying/ running costs were much more.

HTL Joinery likes this.
  3. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

i thought you could not have a van when just passed your test ?

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Currently have a 12 plate Relay on 89k and a 59 plate Berlingo on 140k . And am a joiner.

Love the Berlingo. Have the triple seater with the fold down seats. Paid 2.3k on Gumtree for it.

Have a Van Vault 1000 x1200 x 185 slider as a false floor in the back and a Vanguard roof bar system on roof with Van Vault 165 tube on top for long timber.

Berlingo is a perfect startup or nipper arounder van.

Get a 08 onwards model as its the same as the Berlingo was up til earlier this year.

Signwritten it looks like a new un!

HTL Joinery and CGN like this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't think any restrictions apply.

HTL Joinery likes this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

For me, couldn’t get by with not being able to get an 8x4’ in the back, but depending on your business model, may not be an issue.

HTL Joinery likes this.
  7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Day to day working I use the Berlingo.

Use the Relay for big stuff as it lives on a mates smallholding 90% of the time.

Kitchen fits etc if there is space the Relay stays outside the job as a mobile storage unit/workshop!

HTL Joinery and CGN like this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Guy I bought mine off had changed tac and was just doing site work so only needed to get his tools to the job.

HTL Joinery likes this.
  9. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Get yourself a Peugeot Expert. 2012 onwards.
    You can pick them up for less than 5K. Great vans.

HTL Joinery likes this.
  10. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

The new shape expert is nice, am looking at Renault master swb but they are hard to find

HTL Joinery likes this.
  11. masterdiy

Yes and you know why, most of them are in the junk yards....;)

The Expert is such a better van.
    And yes, the new-ish shape.
    2015 Peugeot Expert 1,6 HDI H1 L2
    Mot May 2020
    Only 57k miles going for £5950 Sounds like a good by for the year.

HTL Joinery likes this.
  12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Citroen and Peugeot are solid workhorse vans.

HTL Joinery likes this.
  13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Can't fault the master I have just need a new one, maybe I been lucky it mwb and it to big for me

HTL Joinery likes this.
  14. HTL Joinery

HTL Joinery New Member

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the advice!!, I’m leaning more towards the Berlingo as a starter van then maybe something bigger once I’m more established. I’ll just have to shop about and find what’s best for me

CGN likes this.
  15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If you go with the Berlingo go for the standard wheelbase. The lwb looks silly and drives poorly.

The slim slider van vault is superb for it. Almost custom made. They are pricy though even second hand. The rest you can have the odd rack here or there but you want to keep it adaptable for kit and loads.

Definitely get L4V deadlocks as the factory locks are lame.

Lx or enterprise 3 seaters are best as they have the removable bulkhead section and the extenso folding seats.

Its a brilliant little van.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

My first van was a Reliant Supervan Mk IV three wheeler on a 'J' plate, paid £300 for it in 1977 and drove it on my motorcycle licence, fitted the window kit into the side panels as it also had fold down seats in the back..........great days :)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Sparkielev likes this.
  17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Can't think of any really bad modern vans.

The problem as I have found recently, is finding a decent van that isn't too tatty, thrashed and has been serviced. I have seen some absolute rubbish at far too much money for the condition and mileage especially with a VW badge on the front. So many converted into "day vans" or dents and dings like they had been stock car racing

Its taken me four weeks to find something I was prepared to pay money for although did make the mistake of not checking for a spare key - £165 :oops:

18. masterdiy

Buy new & keep it for a long time.

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Not for me.

Let someone else lose a third of its value by turning the key.

I bought a Suzuki Carryvan brand new maybe 12 years ago.

Only because the salesman wanted one sale to trigger a huge bonus.

He matched a used price!!.

I paid less than £5k for it all in.

blarblarblarblar likes this.
  20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I priced up new vans earlier in the year - some topped £50k which is a crazy price. I paid £6,000 for a 1 owner, 5 year old van with 80k on the clock, 12 months MOT, high top and came kitted out as mobile workshop including a bench racking and 20 metal sliding drawers even came with a full tank of fuel !

Probably cost me a fifth of what it cost its previous owner why waste money on new

jimoz and Jord86 like this.