BBC bias

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, May 13, 2019.

1. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

The silence is deafening...................

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

What on earth does that have to do with BBC bias?
    Jo Cox's murder was a deplorable act, committed by one single individual acting alone. What this has to do with BBC biased reporting has nothing to do with this thread. Filibustering at it's best.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You obviously don't know what filibustering means.
    To answer the other question then no I don't agree with throwing milkshake on pensioners.

4. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

For the purpose of clarity and avoidance of doubt, may I take it that you include the particular pensioner in question in your answer?

As for Jo Cox, It is a pity that her hubbie wasn't as concerned as the media at the time.
    He was too busy having fun with his female staff, although his thinking was finally influenced whereby he agreed to resign rather than allow the matter to go to the police.

I know it's a daily fail item but there are more erudite references if one is sad enough to look.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5404241/Jo-Coxs-husband-admits-sex-pest-resigns.html

I feel sorry for their children.

5. greenback78

greenback78 Active Member

I fail to see the relevance. Is a woman defined by her husband? If that’s the case then you may wish to evaluate your views on leading Brexiters.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Slinging mud at a widower is pretty low even by your standards.

7. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

If the cap fits.........
    St Brendan, as he would have us believe, was actually no saint at all.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I thought you had left us.
    You're bringing religion back into the debate again, I thought you were all for the head not the heart?

9. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

What made you think that I had left? Have you been attempting to engineer my demise perchance?
    I ask, since it would appear that 2 threads have been removed due to your petulant teenage antics.
    Tell me, are you one of those paid-up eu trolls?
    This dates back to the previous elections, so who knows what they are paying you now.

EU to set up euro-election 'troll patrol' to tackle Eurosceptic surge

The European Parliament is to spend almost £2 million on press monitoring and trawling Eurosceptic debates on the internet for "trolls" with whom to debate in the run-up and during euro-elections next year amid fears that hostility to the EU is growing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...troll-patrol-to-tackle-Eurosceptic-surge.html

I don't expect a response in any form, so no need for any further feeble attempts to further your cause by telling any more porkies.
    Consider yourself found out.

The eu is so democratic isn't it? So much so that it creates and spends millions on furthering it's own federal wet dream. Nothing must prevent the completion of the Fourth Reich must it?

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Simpler than that, you said that you weren't going to talk to me. Don't you remember?

11. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

This all good knockabout stuff but has veered slightly from the point into a demonstration of argumentum ad hominem.

One thing that has not been mentioned, I think it is relevant, are the demographics of the opposing "sides" of the Brexit debate and how that might influence BBC bias, either conscious or unconscious.

There was a significant general disparity in terms of education between the those whose support Brexit and those who don't. It was significantly more likely that those with a university education voted to remain than those with GCSE level qualifications. As BBC commentators are more than likely to belong to the middle class educated elite rather than the uneducated working class it therefore stands to reason that there will be an inherent bias in their reporting no matter how professional as journalists they are, or think they are.

I hasten to add that I am of course not saying either that all those who voted leave are stupid, uneducated and "working class", but that if one is middle class and university educated one would have been more likely to have voted remain. This is my understanding of the statistics and how it would relate to any BBC bias, perceived or otherwise.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  12. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Where do people get the idea that those that are higher educated are more intelligent than the working class, from what I can see young people are just about at thick as you can get. Go and buy something from a shop on a Saturday morning and odd on there will be a college student working behind the till, not once have I ever met one who can add up without a till, I know the amount it should be before they even till it in, plenty of times I've told them they are wrong even then.

Just because they have a degree in media studies or sociology doesn't make them clever, its a worthless degree designed to keep them off the dole queues as they would never get a job. Peoples intelligence should be judged on their ability, not their demographic.

Deleted member 11267 and Heat like this.
  13. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

As I made clear in my post, I thought, I was making no comment whatsoever about whether people were stupid or unintelligent because they did not have an education followed by a degree or whether they voted leave or remain. I was very careful to do that as I was quite sure if I did not I would be pulled up on it. Apparently I have been pulled up on it anyway (apologies if you were just making an unrelated post).

My point was simple and was concerning the demographic defined by education that voted remain and leave; there is a clear distinction in general terms between those who are "uneducated" as defined by having a GCSE education, and those who are university educated. I then related that to the BBC journalist demographic and drew the parallel relating to bias. Nothing to do with intelligence and all to do with higher education or not.

14. peter palmer

It was more of a general observation, people automatically assume uneducated = thick where as in reality the opposite is mostly true. Remainers mostly think they are superior to other ordinary folk because they went to university so therefore must be right and the leavers are stupid, ironic really.

15. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Ok, my misunderstanding. I certainly wouldn't want to start an argument down that route, it would generate more heat than light.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As far as I can see both sides think that the BBC are biased towards the other side.

17. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

At a time of so-called 'austerity', why is the BBC being paid by our local councils whilst they pay their mandarins more, yet cut our local services?
    Why is more not made of the fact that the BBC receives funding from the eu? Impartial? Biased? You decide.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture...-millions-in-grants-from-EU-and-councils.html

BBC Media Action

BBC Media Action is independent from the BBC - it is an international development charity set up by the BBC. In 2014-15 it received 5% of its funding from the EU, which was £2.3m.

Its biggest donor was the UK's Department for International Development.

Why is the BBC running it's own charity? Surely this shouldn't be a part of it's remit?

Research and Development
    The BBC applies for grants to help fund its research into broadcasting technology that has contributed to developments such as Freeview and DAB digital radio.

Last year it received a grant of €607,953 (£472,197).

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/bbc/

18. peter palmer

I can't really comment either way, I've not paid a TV licence for getting on for 20 years now, it can waste as much money as it likes as far as I'm concerned.

19. Bollerks

Bollerks Active Member

You should care if it means that the BBC holds a disproportionate sway in terms of influencing public opinion.

20. peter palmer

Well people need to do as I have done then, they won't last long without the licence fee.