Velux Window Cost

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Colin Finney, May 25, 2019.

1. Colin Finney

Colin Finney New Member

I am in the process of getting plans drawn up for a partial loft conversion and the subject of Velux windows has come up.

Current plan has three velux windows. What sort of cost to have these installed and if we add more how much extra. i.e can you fit three in a day but a fourth would involve an extra day so double the cost. I am assuming labor is the biggest cost of installing and carpenter will quote a daily rate.

I live in Northamptonshire if that helps.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Not answering you question as I don't know coats. We have 3 and one is a fire scape (stupid thing) They cause heat as glass gets hot so keep size as small as possible. I ignored the drawings 600mm velux and got 1200mm big ones which was a mistake. Just fitted awning blinds at £35 ish each that go on the outside and made big difference to heat and noise. Price drop from ebay as last time I looked they were £100 ish. Real easy to fit and 15min job. They stop the rain noise to as loud as hell on the glass. Roofer fitted ours but cutting tiles to go around took the time

3. Colin Finney

Colin Finney New Member

Thanks, I had not thought about noise. I think we will stick to just the three then.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There are a lot of things to consider with attic conversion windows. You will need a means of escape window there are building regulation constraints on the position and size of these. If the roof windows will be visible from the road you may want to consider how different sized windows at different heights will look. Because the attic space can get very hot, you may want to consider openings on opposite sides of the roof to get some cross ventilation.

The other thing to consider is a future install of solar panels. Several of my neighbours can't have a roof based solar panel installation becwause of the position of their loft windows.

Also don't just rely on the Velux brand, there are a lot more cost effective brands which have electric openers, blinds and other features.

5. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

It normally takes a full day to fit a Velux window, so I guess it's whatever the installer charges for a days work.

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Having fitted many Velux and Fakro roof windows, I would now only ever fit Fakro.
    I am a big fan of roof windows and feel that they can only ever improve a room.
    I'm not a pro and I can fit a Fakro in a day including internal plasterboard finishing (obviously not including skimming or painting).
    I've also discovered how much better it is to bevel all four reveals ... not just the top and bottom ones.
    I LOVE the heat gain they offer, and I LOVE the sound of rain (even hail) on them. To each his own .

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    ElecCEng and bowen192 like this.
  7. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

My brother had problem velux windows in a loft conversion done a long time ago. Estate agents wouldn't regard it as a bedroom unless it met building regs. Bad really as I would bet it did when the work was done.

There are some size requirements for fire escape and there are height from floor requirements as well. Some correct that by adding a step. Personally I would want to know exactly what the regs say on the subject. That might be different for domestic and rented flats etc.

Much to my surprise fire escape also applies to ordinary windows. Having a 1st floor one replaced, currently no opening windows and just wanted to add small transom ones for ventilation. Can't, have to have the usual type as well.

John
    -

8. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

;) Thought I had seen it somewhere. I've been looking at roof windows for another reason.

RoofEscape.jpg

John
    -

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Fire doors throughout the house will negate those requirements.

10. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Meant to add

The * suggest checking with local building control

Also some where or the other I saw a brand that was semi top hung. The pivot much higher up. I assume to allow easier cleaning from inside the house.

John
    -

11. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

That may explain why my brother fitted them. ;) I hear the problems not the solutions. He didn't sound all that bothered about needing to do that.

John
    -

12. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The two cheapest ones aren't for habitable spaces.

14. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Think you are incorrect as the thermal values are ok. Next one up price wise is single glazed and they state not suitable for ........ etc. U also a lot higher. The U value of the 2 cheaper ones is what it usually is on the vast majority of them.

John
    -

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The ones below £100 are for "closed" spaces only - unconverted rooms. I have fitted quite a few of these and they are only really good enough for sheds, external buildings and for attics where you may want to let in some light or ventialtion

16. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Here's one sub £100

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manual-top-hung-lacquered-natural-pine-skylight-clear-450-x-550mm/702fv

Here's one a bit over that does state not habitable which I read as not heated as sometimes they put it that way

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tyrem-ma...natural-pine-skylight-clear-440-x-550mm/29609

Here's one at random about £200

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tyrem-c2...upvc-upvc-roof-window-clear-550-x-780mm/1470j

The U values is slightly worse than the first one.

I don't think that the ideal for closed attic spaces matters as far as building regs go. It's interesting that E glass seems to have worse U values. One thing for sure the first one is no good for escape.

Maybe I am wrong but don't think so.

John
    -

17. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

Is that right.??

When I priced a loft conversion here, we were told we must have both, fire doors fitted as we'd now have 3 floors and must have a fire escape window in the loft conversion in case the fire happened on the floor below it in the stairwell.

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

May depend on your local building control and where in the country you are. Having been part of a few loft conversions over the last thirteen years not once in my instances has there been fire escape considerations placed on the size and locations of the roof windows in preference of fire doors, sprinklers, smoke detectors, corridors constructed with half hour/hour fire resistance etc. Obviously the layout and design of the conversion impacts the level of fire reg requirements.

19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Wow, 15 minute job fitting velux windows. :eek::eek::eek:

20. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

Think he means the BLINDS he bought for windows.

Jord86 likes this.