Removing old back boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DanielM44, Apr 29, 2019.

1. DanielM44

DanielM44 New Member

Quick update on this.

I removed the whole lot a few weeks ago and it all went swimmingly. Bloody hard work for a newb, but that's to be expected. I did the removal with the tools I had so it took me a good 30 mins to cut through the flow and return pipes. I've since had a brickie mate come round and brick out the whole thing in imperial bricks and it looks great.

Next step is to get a plasterer round (next week) to finish the whole thing off, then I'll post some pics up of the whole process.

Thanks everyone.

Heat likes this.
  2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

was there any water left inside or did you feel drained at the end.

DanielM44 likes this.
  3. DanielM44

DanielM44 New Member

Ha. Yea, I was drained. But I topped my water levels up with a generous amount of wine, once I'd finished. Felt good as new the next day!

As for the BB, there was no water at all. I'm not sure when the previous owners closed it up so it must've all just evaporated.

Dam0n likes this.
  4. Ron12

Ron12 Member

So you removed a back boiler without checking it’s still connected?

5. DanielM44

DanielM44 New Member

Nope. Please read the thread. The pipes were completely disconnected.

6. Hayley180

Hayley180 New Member

Hi we have just done the same thing and stumbled Upon this (please see photos) my fathers is saying it’s a back boiler but plumber is adamant it’s not. Since plumber left We discovered two lead pipes going from wall next to fireplace up to bedroom. We have traced them and can not see them disconnected. Plumber is saying it’s not a back boiler and should be disconnected over the phone but we have opened casing around pipes and the floorboards and traced that it’s just two pipes running up and down and then some going under floor boards towards bathroom that’s all been retiled and decorated so we are stuck! We don’t know what to do your help would be much appreciated

Attached Files:

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That is a old back boiler, basically same as this gas back boiler

[​IMG]

Worth a few bob if solid copper, but later ones were cast iron.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  8. Hayley180

Hayley180 New Member

Any advise seeing as it looks like it hasn’t been disconnected?

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

It probably is disconnected.
    Do you still have a hot water cylinder in the house?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Probably dead, but might still have a bit of water left in it.

11. Hayley180

Hayley180 New Member

I don’t believe so?? What do got water cylinders look like? We have a brand new boiler fitted just before Christmas and same plumber fitted that days the back boiler is dead but says it isn’t a back boiler so we are frightened to touch it

12. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If he’s fitted a new boiler and said it’s disconnected then you need to take his word for that.
    A hot water cylinder is usually a large copper tank that stores hot water.
    If you have a combi boiler then you probably no longer have one.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.

But, surprised your plumber don't recognise it as a back boiler.

14. Hayley180

Hayley180 New Member

Thanks for advise both fingers crossed all will be ok

15. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Maybe just different terminology.
    I would call it a back circulator.
    I would call a boiler behind a gas fire a back boiler.
    Not sure why though.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I had a combi boiler installed in old house.

The original boiler was a back boiler.

Not very good installers as when changing over to a combi from Y plan system, they left the flow and return pipes still connected. So this was still a working circuit. Another plumber removed the dead legs.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's basically a primitive heat exchanger!

18. Hayley180

Hayley180 New Member

Just an update the back boiler was disconnected even though all pipes appeared connect from pulling up floorboards.

It did have water but not huge amount and now we have an empty space which is ideal
    Thanks for advise

19. PMJohnson82

PMJohnson82 New Member

Hi, just been reading through this and would like some advice. I've just removed some cladding that was covering our chimney breast, and pretty sure we have a back boiler (example attached, but I couldn't upload my own photos, our one is not in as good conditions the picture). I know it's disconnected as the plumber who installed our new central heating and boiler has cut the pipes already. Just wondering how to go about removal, as some of the bricks are actually covering it meaning bricks would need removing as well. Not sure whether this would mean the chimney breast would collapse? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

20. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Yes, definitely that is a large back boiler that just was for heating the hot water cylinder. The door on it has a rubber washer seal and I remember well replacing one of those seals.
    The side tiles will have to be removed to take out entire boiler. There might be water left still in it.
    The bricks and concrete lintel if not supported usually have to come out